Urgent Care :: HELP...Found baby RES, no bigger than a quarter

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:18 am   

No, I'm not taking him to the vet. I just can't see investing anymore money on him until I know he's gonna make it. I'll just have to "play it by ear".
RES Newbie
Mink

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:19 am   

Well then he's probably not going to make it. Poor thing
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:25 am   

Well, hopefully he will. I'm doing the best I can. I think he's started eating a bit. He's become a little bit more active, so hopefully he'll pull through. I have no idea what kind of damage occured while he was being carried around by the little kids we saved him from. I have no idea how long they had him. My whole intent is to try to get him better in order to release him at a nearby pond. I do not intend on keeping him as a pet for a long period of time. He's a wild animal and belongs back in the wild. I'll do what I can for him, but in now way am I going to invest big bucks in this little quater-sized baby, only to have him die shortly afterward...doesn't make sense. I'll give him all the time, attention and care that I can, but he's gonna have to get better on his own.
RES Newbie
Mink

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:03 am   

I'm wondering why you saved him from the kids then if you're not going to try to help him. He more than likely will not get better on his own. If you spent a few bucks and brought him to a vet, he could get well, you could release him, and he could live a happy turtle life for the next 20 years or so. Sounds like his lil life will be over before it began. :cry:
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:21 am   

Well, I guess you haven't actually read my posts...I am trying to help him (which is why I joined this forum--not, incidentally, to be insulted by Mr./Ms. Negativity). Sheesh! I have already committed an exorbitant amount of time doing everything I can for this little turtle. I had two choices while I was at the lake...1) leave him there, where he would have certainly died, since the kids more than likely would've gotten to him again. Even if they didn't, he probably would've died. Or, 2) bring him home and do my best with him. I opted for 2. Let me reiterate, I am doing my best. We have other animals, and based on the vet costs for each, I am certain that taking this little turtle will cost more than just a "few bucks", with no certainty that he will make it even then. I will take what I have learned from the NICE people on this forum, combined with the several hours of reading both my son and I have done on these turtles and do what we can to save him. Thanks for all your positive and encouraging help!!
RES Newbie
Mink

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:25 am   

I wouldn't use cedar mulch. And investing a little to improve his habitat would increase his chances of surviving. I can't click on the link you gave to see him. How warm are you keeping his water?

Since he's wild, he'd respond better to food he'd find in the wild. Live crickets and worms, for example. (But smelly foods--sardines and tuna in water should entice him to eat.) His eyes are closed? Are they sealed shut? Has there been any improvement in them?

It was good of you to want to rescue this baby. If you don't want to invest any more in his care, contact the environmental protection dept. in the state you're in and find the services of a wildlife rehabilitator who knows how to care for him. You could also try finding a turtle rescue operation. Let us know what happens.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:37 am   

I never insulted you. I just think it's a sad situation. I never said anything personal against you.
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:39 am   

Mink, where are you in Texas? Try here: http://www.theturtleranch.com
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:43 am   

Very good information, Marisa, thank you! I will check out the resources that you suggested. You might need to copy and paste the address in your browser to view the pics. I keep the water "lukewarm". There have been slight improvements in his activity levels, as well as his eating. I think he still may be too weak to pursue live prey, for now. I'm trying bits of shrimp, meat, grated carrots, and finely chopped strawberries, although the only thing I can tell that he's eaten is small bites of the turtle food pellets. I'll get dried shrimp from the store today, to see if he likes that better.

Thanks again!
RES Newbie
Mink

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:48 am   

He'll respond to the smelly stuff, especially if he can't see it (probably why the pellets are working); don't feed raw meat. You could also try mealworms and/or bloodworms. Not that nutritious, but they probably would keep him eating (assuming there's no change in his health). Keep us posted.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:07 pm   

Mink, I just saw the pics and the little thing is adorable! But those eyes--I can't tell if there's a film over them, or are they actually sealed shut with no opening? Does he have any other symptoms--any mucus from the nose or mouth? The fact that he's eating a little is a good sign. Keep him warm. Will he bask? Keep the water temp at 80-82F, the basking area around 90F. You also might buy some plain cold liver oil if you don't have any, put some on a q-tip and gently rub a bit on the lids. Don't get it in the eyes if they open.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:27 pm   

Yes, he's quite adorable! The eyes are troublesome, though. When we first got him (Saturday afternoon), his left eye was open. The right eye looked as if it had a film over it. The film was actually dangling in the water, hanging from his eye. He scratches at both eyes but predominately at the right eye. I don't see anything "dangling" from it anymore, though. Thanks for the tip about the Cod Liver Oil. I'll give it a shot. I do keep the water warm, checking it every couple of hours, and he does have a basking light. He doesn't have any other symptoms like what you've described, and he swims straight.

It may be my imagination (or a bit of wishful thinking), but it seems like his eyes look slightly better today than they did yesterday, when I took the pictures. And he's alert...if I'm not careful, he notices when I've entered the room.

Thanks for hangin in with me, Marisa...I really appreciate your help!!
RES Newbie
Mink

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:50 pm   

You're welcome. But truly, if he stops eating or shows any symptoms (open mouth breathing, that mucus, bubbles from the nose/mouth, etc.), he'll need more help than you can give him and quickly.

I got my RES when he was about the size of yours (he's 3 years old now) and he was in pretty rough shape--one eye was covered over with a white film (looked like a mini cocoon) and the other was almost as bad. I couldn't find any plain cold liver oil where I was, which would have helped, but I kept him warm and let him bask. He only wanted to bask and for the first 5 days I had him, I had to take him off the basking area periodically to hydrate him and get him to eat (he'd always manage to crawl back up there under the warmth). Eventually, the white film started coming off and looked like bits of wet tissue paper. He'd rub at his eyes, especially when he had dried off. But the eyes cleared up and are beautiful today. The cod liver oil is to get some Vit A in him (absorbed through the skin as well as lubricating the lids).
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:01 pm   

This is very good info, THANKS!! I'll post new pictures in a couple of days.
RES Newbie
Mink

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:04 pm   

If he had a submersible water heater, you wouldn't have to keep checking the water temp (it should be constant). :)
marisa
Retired Mod

PreviousNext

Return to Urgent Care