General Care Discussion :: About turtle dock...

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:17 pm   About turtle dock...

I have the zoomed turtle dock in medium size and I dont know if anyone else who has this same dock noticed that a bubble will come up from one or both of the holes where the black holder is at. This bubble will cause some water to go on the top of one side of the dock. Not enough for it to be covered but enough for it to be damp between the ridges.

I thought mines was defected or something so I went to Petsmart and I looked in their turtle tank where they have three painted turtles. They are useing the same dock as me and another type of dock as well on the other side of the tank and both of them are also damp on top and the same bubble rises on both of them through the holes or on the sides. The bubble is caused by the filter but it does it no matter how far away the dock is placed from the filter. Theres was actually worse than mines because theirs was damp all over, mines is just damp on one side.

Anyone else have this problem and is it something to be concerned about? I bought aquarium silicon and was thinking on filling up the holes with it so no more bubble can come through but Im debating on doing it because it would mean I have to take out my RES dock and put a temp one in there that I will have to tie somehow since it doesnt come with a holder. I dont want to fuss to much with her tank. Any suggestions?
"See the turtle of enormous girth,
On his shell he holds the Earth,
His thought is slow but always kind;
He holds us all within his mind."
--The Dark Tower
butterfly

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:18 pm   

Isn't the hole there to allow the dock to adjust itself to your water level? I'm thinking its part of the design, so water/air might come up.

I always see air trapped underneath my basking platform, and the amount depends on where I'm directing my filter outlet.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:22 pm   

I've used the small, medium and large zoo med docks and I've never had that problem....the only reason mine gets wet on top is because the 2 turts weight it down a bit if they're both on it at the same time.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:25 pm   

Correction, I didn't mean "so water/air might come up" but that it has something to hold in place when it slides up and down. Maybe the holes are cracking or getting bigger?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:23 pm   

I have the same dock, and I've never had this problem either. Mine stays dry. Maybe it is just the way your dock was made or some defect. :?
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:51 pm   

Hmmm now I looked at it and it doesnt seem to be doing that anymore, or at least not as much. Weird, I guess it just happens sometimes so Im going to hold out on the silicone unless it becomes too wet. I dont want her bottom shell having trouble.
"See the turtle of enormous girth,
On his shell he holds the Earth,
His thought is slow but always kind;
He holds us all within his mind."
--The Dark Tower
butterfly

Return to General Care Discussion