General Care Discussion :: heater

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:36 pm   

They're good swimmers, so more is better. You can fill it up as high as you can without them being able to escape if you want. Having some plants for them to rest on in addition to the basking area would be good, especially if they're small.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:50 pm   

juicedgt02 wrote:I found that petsmart was a $1 cheaper on the heater than most places on line and I don't need to have it shipped :D and can I just go by a lake and pick up some rocks for the tank or they have to be store bought?

My local aquarium store tended to over charge on everything, especially filters, heaters and bulbs.

The one you linked is not the Stealth model.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/P ... atid=12060

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_ ... 4441810432
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:04 pm   

I have a 2 inch turtle in a 30 gallon that is full of water. When we first got him and he was 1 1/4 in in a ten gallon it was full. So I would give them more water as long as you have plants or ledges for them to rest on at different levels of the water. Also another great trick is to buy some suction cups (target has some 3/$.99) and attach a fake plant to the side of the tank at different levels to allow them to rest as they swim to the top. RES are aquatic turtles and love to swim. You'll be surprised at how fun it will be to watch them. :D
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:30 pm   

Try www.bigalsonline.com also. They have promotional specials on a number of models of that heater as well.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:41 pm   

thanks for the help, I went to the local petsmart and their website had a special on the heater but the store didn't, o well. I picked up a heater so far it works great. We have fake plants in the tank and couple of http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_ ... 0520987398 and the floating dock for them, I think they have a pretty good home but I want better for them.
juicedgt02

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:44 pm   

You can go ahead and fill up your 55 gallon. Just make sure to leave enough room at the top that he/she can't climb out. Also, make sure their is a basking spot.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Previous

Return to General Care Discussion