Habitat - Indoor :: can turtles drown is a lot of water ?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:54 am   can turtles drown is a lot of water ?

I know turtles can drown, but how likily is it that they drown to being changed from a small tank to a large one?
joeybsmooth

Post Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:25 am   

I'm fairly new here, but from what I've read turtles are more likely to drown from getting stuck under or between something rather then from too much water.

Add a couple resting spots for them so they can stop swimming, hold on to it and breath above water. If you put them in a new bigger tank they're probably not used to having that much swimming room so add a reptile hammock or something that they can grab onto and rest.
Keri
Talking Turtle

Post Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:26 am   Re: can turtles drown is a lot of water ?

joeybsmooth wrote:I know turtles can drown, but how likily is it that they drown to being changed from a small tank to a large one?

they wont nessisarily drown if you put them in a larger tank. but i mean if u have like a 100 gallon tank that is vertical then they r gona have a hard time trying to swim up in time to breathe. they can swim to the top, they'll be fine
-Karina & Marshall

=======
2 RES: Fred && AL
=======
ohmygosh_22

Post Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:37 pm   

Like what turtle said, make sure you have a resting area in between so they can rest.
3 RES : Comet , Einstein, Lotte
2 Leopard Geckos : Jake and Jenny
1 Bichon Frise : Mike

I'm not scared of the dark, I'm scared of whats in it.
Lantic

Post Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:09 pm   

I am just so scared. They are so small, and I have not seen one of them come up for air or to bask yet. He just hides under some rocks all day.
Please excuse any spelling and/or grammatical errors. I'm dyslexic.I do my best!
joeybsmooth

Post Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:25 pm   

joeybsmooth wrote:I am just so scared. They are so small, and I have not seen one of them come up for air or to bask yet. He just hides under some rocks all day.

r they hatchlings? turtles r shy animals in general, he's probally just gettn used to his environment. RES love to bask (at least mine do) && they'll do it. no worries.
-Karina & Marshall

=======
2 RES: Fred && AL
=======
ohmygosh_22

Post Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:31 pm   

Yeah they are hatchings .. and the say one almost went up to bask lol. I am ok now that I know he can at least make it up to the top.
Please excuse any spelling and/or grammatical errors. I'm dyslexic.I do my best!
joeybsmooth

Post Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:21 pm   

Try starting with a low level of water in the tank, then gradually increase it an inch every few days so the turtles can adjust to the new depth.

Here's a caution about low water levels. If the water level is so low that a turtle can accidently flip over on his back and not be able to right himself, then it's dangerous and the turtle could drown. So by low water level, I mean the level should be low but no less than the turtle's shell is long. That way he won't be a risk of flipping over and not being able to get right side up.

Also, provide some resting places for your turtles like plastic plants that reach to the surface of the water. They can hang onto the plant and breath if they get tired of swimming.
SpotsMama
SpotsMama
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:54 pm   

Tell me if this is ok.

They are on that ramp thing all the time .
joeybsmooth

Post Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:41 pm   

Looks fine to me. You can add some more tall plants if they are having a hard time making it to the top though.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
untsmurf

Post Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:58 pm   

One of them is just not active at all , He like just sets there all day long. I wonder if the move was a good idea? Maybe I can move him back until he is ready.
joeybsmooth

Post Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:02 pm   

What was the temperature of the water in their small tank and what is it now?

How long have they been in the new tank?
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
untsmurf

Post Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:13 pm   

76 in the old and now it is around 77/78
joeybsmooth

Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:39 am   

It's looking good!

Here's a very helpful thread from a good forum member who did a lot of work on his tank. He has some great plastic plants that reach from the bottom to the top of the tank and his turtles used them to hang on to when they needed to rest. On page 1 you can see a pretty good photo of the plastic plant towards the bottom of the page, then skip over to page 10 (it's a long post) and see the package that the plant came in. It's a real common item in the fish section of pet stores - I've seen it at Petco and Petsmart - and very inexpensive. Perfect for a turtle tank.

http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewt ... sc&start=0
SpotsMama
SpotsMama
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:22 am   

They wan eat the fake plants? Right now they nipple on the real plant that I have .
joeybsmooth

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor