General Care Discussion :: heater

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:31 pm   heater

i "searched" but didn't find what I was looking for, anyway can you guys recommand a good heater for my 2 RES, they live in a 55 gallon tank, there is about 7 inches of water as they are very yound, I will post a pic in the next couple of days. As of now we don't have anything on the bottom (rocks/sand) as we were told they might eat it. I have a light and an UVB light but I don't want to take a chnce of the water getting to cold since winter is coming, they are inside the house but we keep the temp around 70 degrees. Please recommand something.
juicedgt02

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:09 pm   

Visitherm Stealth heater, hands down my favorite submersible heater
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:23 pm   

steve wrote:Visitherm Stealth heater, hands down my favorite submersible heater

totally agree there.. :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:34 pm   

Even with them being inside and having the correct lighting, it's a must to have a good heater to keep the water constant. Since the lights should be off at night they should never be relied on as the source for heating the water. Make sure water temp is a constant 78 for hatchlings and 75 for older turtles with the basking temp around 90. Investing in a good heater like the one suggested above is a good thing to keep your babies healthy. :)

How young are your turtles? How long are they? :D
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:50 pm   

I won't use any heater other than Ebo Jager. The Benz of heater.
Raymond K

95% of people spend 45 years of there lives making the other 5%
successful! They work a plan for someone else's financial success--not their
own!
ray375

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:50 am   

thanks guys, I just googled it and found few, is there a site you guys buy your stuff from or do we have a vendor on this site?
juicedgt02

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:56 am   

There are a few that seem to pop up in discussions.. These 2 seem to be the most popular.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/

http://www.drsfostersmith.com

Good Luck :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:02 am   

I like both those sites. I like the Ebo Jager's too. If you have local Petsmart or Petco, they MIGHT pricematch the same product if you bring a printout of a page with the cheaper price. You'll save on shipping too.

You can put in river rocks that are larger than their head and some fake plants. Don't forget to get a couple of thermometers while you're at it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:33 am   

steve wrote:I like both those sites. I like the Ebo Jager's too. If you have local Petsmart or Petco, they MIGHT pricematch the same product if you bring a printout of a page with the cheaper price. You'll save on shipping too.

You can put in river rocks that are larger than their head and some fake plants. Don't forget to get a couple of thermometers while you're at it.

I found that petsmart was a $1 cheaper on the heater than most places on line and I don't need to have it shipped :D and can I just go by a lake and pick up some rocks for the tank or they have to be store bought?
juicedgt02

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:39 am   

Petsmart was cheaper than buying online .. is that with or without the price matching? I've found they have a very limited selection of quality heaters in our local Petsmart, so you may want to check what they have in stock.

You can use rocks you found outside, but you need to make sure they've been cleaned throughly.. scrub them in hot water, boil them.. some bake them.. etc.
Last edited by cam722 on Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:01 pm   

Of the heaters I've used, Ebo-Jager and Tronics are the ones I've liked the best, although Tronics tend to develop some condensation on the ends with use (doesn't affect their operation). I've got two Stealth heaters on the way, so it will be interesting to compare the different brands. I've also recently started using a Hydor Thermo Heater in my largest set-up, and so far have liked the way it functions. For wattage figure on about 5 watts per gallon of water.

Interesting note: Ebo-Jager is coming out with a new line of redesigned heaters (they will be unbreakable), and if they work as well as their current heaters, they most likely will be the Benz of submersible heaters. :)

I'd scrub the rocks to loosen any debris and then boil them (this is what I do with any I find outside that I use).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:38 pm   

that was without price matching, http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_ ... 0434421837 i am going to get the 300w one, is this enough for a 55 gallon tank? And thanks on the advice on the rocks, I will take the wife out for a walk on the lake and pick some rocks up
juicedgt02

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:41 pm   

Half my rocks are from outside (scrubbed and boiled) but the other half I bought. The ones I bought are much prettier but either work well. The ones I bought I still cleaned just to make sure. :)
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:01 pm   

A 300-watt heater is, ok, but perhaps a bit of an overkill. I used one last winter in a tank that was 110-gallons (with about 75 - 80 gallons of water in it).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:30 pm   

great, than maybe I will just get the 200w, I know my boys will grow and who knows I might have to get them a bigger tank, once we buy our new home sometime next year I will see what we can do to make a little pond for them. And do you think I should give them more water? I have about 6 inches in a 55 gallon tank.
juicedgt02

Next

Return to General Care Discussion