General Care Discussion :: turtle eyes

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:25 pm   turtle eyes

how can i tell if there is something wrong with my turtle's eyes?
khobbs

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:28 pm   

do you think it can't see, or are they swollen, or full of puss?
bradhart

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:31 pm   

well now i'm wondering if it is shedding...does their skin actually shed or is it just the shell? I was looking at him a few minutes ago and it looked like there was a piece of skin around his eyes, but when he's under water it looks like his eyes are swollen

yes, his eyes are definitely swollen
khobbs

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:48 pm   

Turtles shed both skin and scutes (shell).

You're sure his eyes are swollen? Does he rub at them? Is there any discharge coming from them?

Is he otherwise healthy--active and eating? How much does he bask? Any other symptoms--open-mouth breating out of the water, mucus from the nose or mouth, wheezing, listing to one side in the water? If so, he may have a respiratory infection.

What are the temps of the water and basking area?

What are you feeding him?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:54 pm   

yes he rubs his eyes and no i don't see any discharge coming from them. he spends most of his time in the basking area. he only gets in the water when i come close to the tank, if he's awake. i rarely see him in the water and don't ever see him eat. he won't even eat little dried shrimp. i have another res who is doing just fine and actually eats out of my hand, so i'm pretty worried.
no i don't see any open mouth breathing out of the water, any mucus from his nose or mouth, or wheezing. i'm not real sure what you mean by listing?
the tem of the water is around 76-78 degrees and i don't have a thermometer for the basking area yet, but it is considerably warmer.
i am feeding him reptomin pellets
khobbs

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:13 pm   

Listing is walking or swimming in an irregular manner, usually to one side (it's an indication of fluid in the lungs, a symptom of a respiratory infection)

I was going to ask if you use a water conditioner and aquarium salt.. but you have another RES that is fine. If they are together, I would separate them and arrange a visit to your vet.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:23 pm   

Some times my turtles will rub their eyes when they are out of the water basking.. and when they are shedding skin... is this what your turtle is doing?
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:39 pm   

Here's a link to a picture of swollen eyes. It might help you just to make sure they are swollen: http://www.resoasis.com/pictures/eye-1.jpg

I would take him to see the vet and separate them as Steve suggested. :)
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:40 pm   

yeah, he rubs his eyes in the water and out of the water... but they still look kind of swollen, like the skin around his eyes is kind of whitish and puffy...more noticable in water. are there any kind of drops that i can use?
khobbs

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:12 pm   

i just took a really good look at him. he keeps his eyes closed all the time that he is out of the water and barely opens them when he is in the water.

oh yeah, his eyes are definitely swollen but not that bad. i can still see his eyes through his lids but he just doesn't open them.

do i have to take him to a special kind of vet, like for reptiles or what? i'm not sure that we have one of those around here. i'm really worried about him. please, any kind of help will be wonderful.
khobbs

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:19 pm   

Here's the link on how to locate a herp vet in your area. I'm not sure where you are in Tennessee or I'd help you further. I know there is one not far from me here in Knoxville.

http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=370
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:14 pm   

thanks everyone for the advice. today dana was swimming in the water and actually ate out of my hand and was acting like my other turtle. good to know he is feeling better
khobbs

Return to General Care Discussion