Urgent Care :: Help - depressed turt

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:37 pm   Help - depressed turt

Ok, so about a week ago one of my 2 turtles (Lucy) somehow escaped to be free in the pond outside (i live in FL). I have tried to get her back, but have been unable to. Though this has greatly upset me, i am now concerned about Lucky, because she has been with Lucy since birth (5 years!). I think she may be feeling depressed or lonely.
My question is: what can I do to make her happier? should i get a new turt or two (i heard they view new turt's as competition for food and space = bad?)? If i got a new one/ones, would Lucky bully it/them (she is pretty big {6-7in} and a new one would be super tiny {1in})?
Please help me help my sad turtle...
-Beth
-Beth :)
ebubbles0o0

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:48 pm   Re: Help - depressed turt

ebubbles0o0 wrote:Ok, so about a week ago one of my 2 turtles (Lucy) somehow escaped to be free in the pond outside (i live in FL). I have tried to get her back, but have been unable to. Though this has greatly upset me, i am now concerned about Lucky, because she has been with Lucy since birth (5 years!). I think she may be feeling depressed or lonely.
My question is: what can I do to make her happier? should i get a new turt or two (i heard they view new turt's as competition for food and space = bad?)? If i got a new one/ones, would Lucky bully it/them (she is pretty big {6-7in} and a new one would be super tiny {1in})?
Please help me help my sad turtle...
-Beth

I guess it's possible for turtles to get depressed. I know my dog did when my other dog ran away. There is a quarantine period (i think 90 days) to make sure the new turt doesn't have any parasites/illnesses that could be passed to your other turtle. You really should get one of almost the same size if you do get one. A 1 inch turtle can easily be crushed or hurt with no intent from your big one. I heard of a girl that put a hatchling in with her 5 inch turtle and the big one climbed on top of the small one on the basking dock and crushed him to death. You could give him something to play with in the meantime. Some people use ping pong balls and the turtle can push it around. Or you could make his habitat more interesting. Maybe add a cave, some plants, some feeder fish. Good luck with whatever you decide :D
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:47 am   thanks n/p

.thanks
-Beth :)
ebubbles0o0

Return to Urgent Care