General Care Discussion :: Thanks and a RANT!!!!!!

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:39 am   Thanks and a RANT!!!!!!

First of all, I want to thank all of you that run and participate in redslider.com and Turtle Talk. Because of the information I have received on this site, my RES, Squirt, is doing GREAT. I should say, great now as the information I received from 3 different pet stores in my area where DEAD wrong.

As for the rant, I am VERY annoyed that the information that these pet stores provided could have cost me the life of my little swimming friend. How many people have lost turtles because of such outright incompetence or greed? I am not sure which.

A few things I was told:

RES don't really need a basking area

A simple incadesent like was plenty for a RES

A little internal filter (designed for 5-15 gallon tank) was all the filteration I needed for my 30 gallon tank(because they don't actually breath the water like fish) and filteration is not that important. :roll:

RES are a low maintaince pet

ETC, ETC, ETC

If Pet stores are going to provide information such as this, I will NEVER again feel guilty educating myself on-line and buying equipment and food on-line for the best possible price.

I would be quite interested in what so called information others have received.

END OF RANT

Again, thank you redslider.com !

Michael
How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?
newtoturtles

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:40 am   

Oops, I meant light not like!
newtoturtles

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:42 am   

I can't seem to edit, so another correction,

redearslider.com
newtoturtles

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:54 am   

This is an all too familiar story. Personally, I came straight online (here mostly) for my info when I bought Koopa. But many many others have complained about the lack of knowledge from pet store people. I know some have even went to the trouble of printing out the care sheets
( http://www.redearslider.com/index_download.html#guide ) and taking them in to the petstores. Not that you really think it will help, but it's an effort to correct thier ignorance or laziness.
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:12 pm   

To my surprise, a Petco (in Long Island) had fairly decent caresheets for sliders though I share a difference in opinions on a few points.

I'm glad the PDFs are helping out, there will definitely be more in the future.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:27 pm   

I've got copies of Petco's care sheets and they're not bad (Melissa Kaplan is one of their sources). I think that Petco sometimes gets a bum rap--someone who has a turtle rescue in Texas got quite a bit of help from them, if I remember correctly. Not to defend them (their prices leave a lot to be desired and they have some staff that need further training) but they do have some positive points. Now if they would just stop selling turtles...
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:32 pm   

i had the local "turtle expert" vet give me conflicting information.

said she had never heard of a res eating vegies and didn't think it was needed.

we should keep the water at 85 degrees, and anything below 78 is called the "death zone".

she knew we had gravel and saw no problem with that.

it cost 80 bucks and my husband wanted to demand our money back after we realized how little she knows.
to her credit- he had shell rot which has cleared up with care she recommended. and knowing that if there was a real emergency, she is right down the street.
"I got eighteen dollars, Dude"
yosmartpants

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:47 pm   

I'd want to know of a second herp vet just as a back-up... You might consider filling your vet in on the nutritional requirements of RES.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:54 pm   

Id like to join you with the rant. Its a shame that the pet stores give this kind of information in order to sell the animal. Ive found that you get much better information at places that do not actually sell RES.

I was told that RES didnt need a basking area either and that the water should be low.

They eat one pellet a day and some chicken once a week and thats about it.

No filter needed, just clean out the lagoon once a week.

No temps needed, its fine as is.

Also the low maintenance as well. This is the reason my friend gave me the 10 dollar RES and Ive spent close to 400 dollars on things so far.

Aside from my cat I was looking for another kind of pet and so my friend believing the guy that sold it to him, brought me my RES. (No way Im getting rid of her now.)

I wonder how many people out there, were told the same thing and now have sick or dead pets because they didnt bother to look up info. Or how many people have let theirs go into the many lakes, ponds and canals that are everywhere here in South Florida.

I said in another thread, they should be fined for this misleading information and be required to post clearly the required information so people can make better choices about owning a turtle or not.
"See the turtle of enormous girth,
On his shell he holds the Earth,
His thought is slow but always kind;
He holds us all within his mind."
--The Dark Tower
butterfly

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:03 pm   

Yeah, I asked my store owner how long they can be out of water and he said "oh hours, hours. In fact, when they came here they were transported in a sack and were out of water for 12 hours." In retrospect, that was probably not very good for the little guys. Other than that, he wasn't the dumbest man in the world. The only other thing was he gave me a ten gallon tank and said it was great for him. In actuality, I needed around a 30 gallon. Oh well.
alehasfriends

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:12 pm   

Take what staff in pet stores tell you with a grain of salt. Some know what they're talking about, many more don't. And not to be too cynical, their object is to sell...The best thing you can do is to read up and become informed about what your turtles need.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:36 pm   

Hi Marisa,

I am sure you know a lot about turtles. However, I beg to differ on your comment to take what the pet store people say in stride. Their object is to sell something in which in theory they are supposed to be an authority in. If they don't know an answer than I believe that it is their responsibility to find out or at the very least admit their ignorance. Instead, many act like an authority while giving out information that is a detrement to the very industry that provides their income. If they don't want to be informed on the care of an animal, then don't offer it for sale. I expect my car dealer to know cars, my sporting good store to know skis AND my pet store to know turtles. If they choose to sell them, that is.

There I go, ranting again.
newtoturtles

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:58 pm   

I don't equate taking some one says with a grain of salt (which to me means not automatically believing 100%/ maintaining a healthy skepticism) with taking something in stride (this to me means not letting something bother you). In a perfect world, staff in petstores would be "authorities" on the creatures they sell/deal with, and I agree that if a staff person doesn't know the answer to something s/he should admit it and try to find the answer. But, in this world, animals, in particular turtles, don't have the same value to sellers as cars, sporting goods, what have you. And unfortunately, many people are "posers"---speaking with authority on subjects they really don't know much/anything about.

In the end, the buck/responsibility stops with the keeper/owner of the turtle.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:44 pm   

Isn't it interesting that the pet stores can be fined $1,000 for every turtle they sell under 4 inches, but can give false information at will with no negative consequences??????

BTW, I agree that the ULTIMATE responsability falls with the owner. That is a responsability I will gladly accept. However, also in the REAL world, most people believe what they are told and will look no farther AND therfore the stores SHOULD have the PRIMARY responsability to properly represent what they are selling. Whether skis, cars or turtles!

My point is this:

Local pet stores are often crying about how they are unable to compete with the large chains and internet companies buying power. They also like to point out that the added value that they provide warrants the higher prices that they must charge to make a profit. The added value is supposed to be knowledgeable staff to help you advance in your hobby and help you when there is trouble.

If the staff of a pet store is giving false information and passing it off as truth, then may the large chains and internet companies thrive. They don't pretend to offer service, only value. I for one don't want to pay a premium for a service that the local pet store cannot or choose not to provide.

Mike
newtoturtles

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:57 pm   

I agree with your last statement, newtoturtles, actually with most of what you said. If, however, it is true that most people believe what they are told and will look no further than the salesperson they're talking to, this is really unfortunate (I don't, BTW, and know I'm considered to be a real pain by the salespeople at some of the places I go to). I would like to think that people try to be informed consumers and at least try to know a little before they buy (I would if I was buying a computer, for example).
marisa
Retired Mod

Next

Return to General Care Discussion