General Care Discussion :: HELP!!!!

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:32 pm   HELP!!!!

torque jumped out of his tank and i cant find him ive looked everywhere i need suggestions. ive pulled out te refridgerators pulled the drawer off of the oven moved the couches picked up and looked under the rug.....i cant find him :cry: i dunno what to do :cry:
my turtle eats better than me and my cat.
evilsr20degg

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:45 pm   

put out a dish of water. Look in any dark areas (under heaters/radiaters) lock down the room he was last in (bedroom/livingroom etc). when you completely search one room, block it off so nothing can get in.

and next time, dont put so much water in your tank.
bradhart

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:07 pm   

Look in dark "cave" like areas.
Dylan ~17~, Brianna~14~ Ethan ~10~ Ava ~4~
flutterby

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:08 pm   

Sorry to hear your turt got away :(
Probably a stupid question, but do you know how long he has been missing? Can you spot any water trails?

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:28 pm   

dont know how long hes been missing, no water trails. theres a good 2.5 inches(which is larger than him) gap between the water and top of the tank i have no clue how he go out. ill set out the water and what not see if that will get him....
evilsr20degg

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:33 pm   

I usually leave out strong odor foods in the water dish. Such as bits of anacharis, boiled chicken and shrimp. Maybe that could be of additional help?
Is your place carpeted or hardwood floored? I turn off all the lights and stay in complete silence and I hear them moving/scratching something

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:45 pm   

Usually they'll follow the walls. Not sure why, but I my res made it clear across the apartment and found a dark place to hide. Looked to me like he followed the wall. Grab a flashlight and look in shoes, under the couches, etc. I found mine under my treadmill so look everywhere.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:19 pm   

ok well ill boil a small piece of chicken...and pout that with it ill lock the cat and dog up on the back porch....ive already moved all the counches looking for hiim im seriously lost on where he could be the floors are ehh half ripped up for the laminate to be put down and other half carpet. so if hes on the carpet i wont find him via silence....im still looking for him though...i hope the cat didnt eat him.
evilsr20degg

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:45 pm   

ok im giving up and going to bed...my cat just pee'd on my cleen clothes...i know the cat has something to do with the turtle missing.......im not sure if today could have gotten any worse.
evilsr20degg

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:16 am   

Could you keep your cat in a closed area?

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:28 am   

my cat is terrified of my turtle. hehe not to say they all are though
bradhart

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:58 pm   

cat was locked on back porch last night and being locked into the bathroom today and tomorrow. hopefully ill find torque by then
evilsr20degg

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:07 pm   

If you leave some food and a shallow pan of water out, also leave a light on at night near them. If it's dark, your turtle isn't going to go exploring, but he may be more active if the room is lit.

Good luck, hope you find him soon.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:19 pm   

I'd also keep everything quiet and keep an ear out for him. If you are searching different rooms, block them off after you have searched and cleared a room. They squeeze into the most impossible areas.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:57 pm   

thanks for everyones help i got him finally...he was sitting in the middle of the floor about 30 mins after i got up staring at me like put me in my tank and feed me jerk....so now im going to head up to home depot and get some chickenwire type stuff and put it over top of the tank...i also dropped the water level a little bit but now one of the 2 filters is sucking up air so it cant stay like that. once again thanks for all yalls help. :):):)
evilsr20degg

Next

Return to General Care Discussion