Feeding and Nutrition :: Rice?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:56 pm   Rice?

Do RES eat rice? :?:
4 RES Babies - Precious, Angel, Sweetie, and Butters
1 Spiny Softie Baby - Noodles
4 Paddle tail newts - Sock, Spot, Dots, and Rex
ChocoTurtle

Post Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:17 am   

It may not be good for them, because in some animals or insects it will expand in their stomach and kill them from the inside out.
1.0.0 RES-Slash
1.2.0 Cat-Abby/Cali/Nemo
0.1.0 Yorkie-Lucie
1.0.0 Jack Russell Terrier-Cooper
I have lots of ideas! Trouble is, most of them suck!
PcBuilder14

Post Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:27 am   

oh okay thanks PcBuilder
4 RES Babies - Precious, Angel, Sweetie, and Butters
1 Spiny Softie Baby - Noodles
4 Paddle tail newts - Sock, Spot, Dots, and Rex
ChocoTurtle

Post Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:53 am   

I don't know about it expanding inside them unless you feed it to them uncooked. In any case, however, it wouldn't be good for a turtle because it's too starchy.
SpotsMama
SpotsMama
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:15 pm   

I think it's a myth that animals will die from eating rice. I wouldn't feed rice to a turtle though.
fishyfingers

Post Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:30 pm   

I've never seen it included as an ingredient in any reputable turtle pellet and I have to assume that some research has been done on whether or not it would be acceptable as part of one. If it's not even an ingredient in a pellet, I really don't think it would be the best thing to feed by itself. There are a lot of other foods that are much better...
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:02 pm   

I feed my dogs rice every day. They havent exploded yet. I'm not sure its god for a turtle though.
Doc_Moore_J

Post Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:48 pm   

Well, for dogs, lamb and rice dog food. Not sure if that helps, but just thought I'd contribute.
Nettle

Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:37 am   

Hahaha. It is a total myth that if you feed uncooked rice to anything that it will expand in the stomach. I don't think rice is a very good choice for a turtle, but I just wanted t clear up that misconception. :D
Red-Eared Sliders- Oogway, Franklin, Truffle, and Snaps
Goldfish- Comet, Chloe, Reginald, and Spike
Cats- Milo and Ty
TMNTmommie

Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:40 am   

Doc_Moore_J wrote:I feed my dogs rice every day. They havent exploded yet. I'm not sure its god for a turtle though.

Okay, that made me LOL.
1 Male RES, 16 yrs. "Krueger"
1 Female Central American Wood Turtle
2 Dogs
3 Cats
mzkitty23

Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:43 am   

Doc_Moore_J wrote:I feed my dogs rice every day. They havent exploded yet. I'm not sure its god for a turtle though.

Im sure it cooked rice though...

we feed our dog rice and chicken with this dog food because hes just old and we are spoiling him and he gets dhyrea easily lol
1 RES - Spikey
drtweak

Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:10 am   

My mom used to make her own dog food. It was more like something you would feed a human but Sneaky loved it. *laughs* :lol:

It was made with hamburg, rice and I think carrots... Majority was hamburg then rice with just a bit of carrot. *Shrugs*
Selera

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:32 am   

Rice is a staple of the Filipino diet. My aunt had a dog that she fed nothing but rice and Filipino table scraps to for it's entire life. The dog lived to be 19 years old! I'm not saying feed rice to your turt but just reading this reminded me of that dog. There isn't much nutritional value in rice in general, it's more of a filler. I wouldn't recommend it for herps as they're nutritional needs are much more complex than canines. Unless the turtle is Filipino, then it should be fine!
2 RES hatchlings, affectionately named "Thunder" and "Lightning". Purchased in Chinatown for $6, their habitat over $500, the satisfaction that I felt when it was all set up and my turts enjoying their new home = priceless!
REStless

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:33 pm   

fishyfingers wrote:I think it's a myth that animals will die from eating rice. I wouldn't feed rice to a turtle though.

It's true rice will not make animals explode... I add dry rice too my mouse food mix and haven't had any mice explode on me...
The bad thing about rice is it has very little nurtients in it. I only add it too my home made mouse food mix because it is low in fat and protien so it's in there too help balance the diet.
My favorite things in the world:
1 res, 3 cats, 3 bunnies, 1 dog, 2 african clawed frogs, guppies, pleco, 30+ fancy mice, 2 hermit crabs and 4 small humans
Sassamo

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:37 pm   

well you cant feed rice to birds you have to feed them bird seed. if you do feed them rice, their stomach's swell and explode. trust me no1 wants that
pets: 1 res

male: bought around a cold day in march 2008. stubborn yet also helpful
(RIP) Churro: ill miss you... (5 yrs. old)

"be strong, be brave, and livestrong"-my dad
blackforces get you

Next

Return to Feeding and Nutrition