General Care Discussion :: On average...how much pellets do you feed your RES?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:36 am   On average...how much pellets do you feed your RES?

Ok, I tried to do the "size of his head" rule...can't seem to get it.
Read the bottle of pellets: 1 tsp for EACH turtle. If that gets eaten in less than 1 hr, then increase to 1 TBL for each turtle.
Well did the 2 tsp (2 turts) and they were gone in less than 5 mins flat. Increased to 2 tablespoons and they are gone in 5 mins flat. They both get equal amounts of pellets PLUS they still have their veggies and plants.
Are my guys just pigs? Cuz they seem to want more pellets when they are finished. Oh and mine get pellets daily..not every other day (bottle says daily).
Here is a pic of the size of their heads if this helps any:
Bob is in the back of the pic, Sheldon is up front.
Holly
birdlady

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:37 am   

Reptomin Sticks, I feed 5 a piece every other day.

Zoo Med pellets, I feed about 10 every other day (they're small)
Dylan ~17~, Brianna~14~ Ethan ~10~ Ava ~4~
flutterby

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:48 am   

Ok I'm using ZooMed Aquatic Turtle Food. BIG pellets. They were using Juvenile sized ones (what Sheldon came with) but then I switched to adult sized since Bob is 14 and Sheldon is 2..figured Adult is more their size.
Gave them 2 tablespoons this morning...gone in no time whatsoever.
Then chopped up a carrot...gone in 10 mins flat and that was Sheldon alone..poor Bob didn't get off the basking rock in time. She's slow to wake up, smell food, and slide off the tunnel..lol
Hyacinths are still in there....guess they'll eat those when they realize I'm not dumping any more food in the tank..
birdlady

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:48 am   

Don't be tempted to put more in just because they eat fast. Koopa has his gone literally before you can blink an eye, but I know it's enough with all the veggies he gets with it. Also, every other day should be the rule of thumb for turtles as old as yours with veggies given daily. As they age veggies should out number pellets in a diet but pellets should still be given every other day. The "size of head thing" is confusing but it helps establish an exact amount instead of always second guessing yourself if they eat them fast. Settle on a specific number for every other day and stick with it, and veggies daily. This will insure healthy turtles in the long run of things. :D
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:37 pm   

Those directions on the containers of turtle pellets? They were written by someone working for a company whose hope is that you'll buy as much of the stuff as possible... :D
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:25 pm   

ok then...I'll go to every other day and feed them.
No worry about starving since they eat anything in the tank and have begging down to an art...lol
I'm gonna get some rosy reds tomorrow and see if Bob will eat them (I know it takes Sheldon a week to eat 6 of them so maybe Bob will follow suit and eat some too). Rosies are a big adjustment for Sheldon since he's always eaten Goldfish day after day after day..along with raw meat, chicken, and any leftovers the family had. No wonder s/he's a pig. I do not give them any raw meat and the rosies are an occasional thing once a month. I can't believe Sheldon hasn't pyramided with all the protein he's had all his life.
My Zoo:
2 RES's - Bob and Sheldon
1 Painted - Red Firebelly
3 Dogs
1 Cat
1 Green Iguana
2 Rabbits
5 Kids
birdlady

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:31 pm   

I feed my hatchlings 4 pellets daily, feed my yearlings 5 pellets every other day, and my adults gets 6 pellets twice or three times a week.
I know that most of us has this planted in our heads, but giving veggies daily can cause mild problems. First off, the soft feces. Captive turtles, unlike the wild, do not exercise as much, which means they don't need to be fed everyday, even with veggies.
As far as the turtle's live prey goes, every turtle's metabolism is different so one may be feeding on two fish a day, while one only eats two in a week.
Because of this, I feed my adults less fish and worms, and offer veggies only five times a week.

Just something to think about.

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:40 pm   

I give mine 5 pellets when he gets pellets.
tini

Return to General Care Discussion