Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: ANYONE HERE? I'M NEW PLEASE HELP :)

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:41 pm   ANYONE HERE? I'M NEW PLEASE HELP :)

TO WHOM EVER IT MY CONCERN; I HAVE TWO AMAZING LITTLE RES, ONE IS A BOY 1YR AND ONE 2YR OLD GIRL. ONE MY DAUGHTER BROUGHT HOME THE GIRL A YEAR AGO IN A BOWL AND THE OTHER ONE I RESCUED BECAUSE HE WAS SO STINKIN ADORABLE. I SUBMITTED A QUESTION LAST EVENING, AND NOTHING HAPPENED. I AM HORRIBLE WITH COMPUTERS BUT I HAVE MANY QUESTIONS. CAN ANYONE HELP?
turteywordy

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:47 pm   

Turteywordy, please take the caps lock off. It's hard to try to answer any questions when I'm being yelled at (all caps is the equivalent of yelling, and there's no need to do that. :) )

This looks like it's your first post, so whatever you submitted last evening doesn't appear to have gotten through. Have you read any of the posts on this site? They would be helpful to you.

What are your questions?
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:51 pm   

I couldn't find any questions either.

Welcome, you definitely came to the right place. :)
Turtle_angel

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:16 pm   thanks for your response

Thanks again for your speedy response. Sorry about the caps. Some very tiny hair-like white worms showed up in both my turtles tanks recentley. The vet told me that it was most likley the aquatic plants that they eat. ok. So I followed her instructions by safely bleaching the tanks whole set up. The thing that I don't understand is how they keep comming back. Have you heard of them? Are they in her digestive track? How do I get rid of the unwanted creatures for good? The vets couldn't come up with any solutions. :shock: Any imfo would be great.
turteywordy

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:21 pm   

from what I understand, these lil worms are harmless. I had them in my fish tank, and I've heard of lots of people having them in their turtle tanks. They're not pretty, but nothing to worry about. I looked it up when I had them in my fish tank...can't remember what they're called but I read that it was caused by inadequate filtration and overfeeding. The leftover food makes the water cruddy and these worms kind of appear out of nowhere. That's all I know about it. I'm sure someone who knows a lil more will chime in.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:46 pm   

I remember reading something about those things on the net, but I can't for the life of me remember where, it may have had something to do with Betas.
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:08 pm   

They are thin little white worms? If so, it sounds like they could be planaria, which are actually flatworms. They're transferred to tanks on plants, and are often found in aquariums with too much uneaten food in them. They won't hurt turtles (or fish), but the uneaten food in the tank can cause other problems. They can be difficult to remove, and they most likely keep coming back when plants are put back in the tank. Do you clean the plants before putting them in the tank? You could cut down on them if you did so. When I buy aquatic plants like anachris, for example, I rinse them well and then keep them soaking in clean water until they're used (I tend to buy a lot at one time). I've also seen it suggested that soaking them in Acriflavin (or similar substance) and then rinsing them well before using will also help eliminate such pests. I've never done this, however, just kept soaking them in clean water.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:22 pm   

ugh to bleach try white vinager its safer rinse well. change all filter cartridges out and clean parts in vinager any rocks boil em and let cool clean tank heater themometer basking floats etc. you may have to place turtles in another tank for a while and reset things up and let it run a fresh clean new cycle for a week or two the turtles should not have worms probably breedin in your plants always wash new plants good. I have a big gallon jar that I buy plants wash em then put in my jar of clean water adding to the tank a week later or longer to insure no worms unwanted snail etc. just an idea :idea:
Don't put a question mark (?) where God has already put a period (.)!
lydia_lady_fla

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:44 pm   oops

Wow, thanks for the info. I wish I would of known about this site a year and a half ago. I have been so missinformed. I thaught that I knew what I was doing but I guess not. After reading alot of these forums it looks like I have an obese, spoiled, overheated and cramped Turteywordy. Now, 1500$ later I must make it better again. I love my turtles though, they are by far the best pets I have ever had. :idea: :roll:
turteywordy

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.