Urgent Care :: Weird Sores on my turtle....please HELP

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:43 am   Weird Sores on my turtle....please HELP

I found these weird sores on both of my turtle's "shoulders" (Not exactly sure if the area could be called shoulders) about three weeks ago, this turtle lives alone and I just don't understand how he got it. I've been a while and it looks the same as the first time I saw it- not healing yet....I've offered him clean water but not sure if I should put anything on it, if I should, what I could put on it. He's still active and has a good appetite....is it normal for a wound to take so long to heal? Please see the attached pictures for the wound.

Setup Info: More than 50 quarts storage box, turtle about the size of an adult's hand, Water height- enough for him to stand up, requires swimming, with a UBV light and floating basking log.

[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/y21/puiyanpuiyan/th_Endof2004toBeg2005pictures024.jpg

[/img]http://photobucket.com/albums/y21/puiyanpuiyan/th_Endof2004toBeg2005pictures023.jpg
yourprettypiggy

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:40 am   

I have not seen that kind of sore with only one turtle, usually something like that would result from fighting, but since you say that it is alone, I don't know, but here is a link that might help you out:
http://www.turtlecare.net/skin.htm

Check this one too:
http://www.turtlecare.net/bites.htm

To post a picture you have to click on the "img" button before you paste the url and also after you paste the url:
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:51 pm   

The links you gave are not highlighted on my screen, so I can't see what the sores look like...Are they open, oozing anything? Is your turtle getting out to bask and dry off enough? Is there anything abrasive in the tank?
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:11 pm   

Hmmm, It tells me "can't find web site" when I copy and paste your link.
-Kristy
punkiemichelle

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:34 pm   sores

could not see the pictures u posted sry but look close could the little fellow be getting burned by your lighting....chafed from a rough basking area..... or edge of your encloser.... a rock.... hung behind heater or filter system maybe? are you using gravel in the tank and its rubbing his hide between the shell wow for not seeing pictures I have a wild imagination hey sorry but if you do find the caz let us know.....make a check list of anything new u have put the turtle in or around him hoping its not like a chemical burn wondering if an antibacterial ointment might help healing????? :? just incase I have heard perfumn or hand lotions giving pets a reaction as well
Don't put a question mark (?) where God has already put a period (.)!
lydia_lady_fla

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:45 pm   

The two pictures I posted belong to yourprettypiggy, you guys can't see those either??
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:53 pm   

hi stray yes I can see em and the small raw looking places thats why I made soooooo many strange suggestions but I was not really sure that this was her turtle so now I know it was and I still only have uneducated guesses how about you :?: no :idea: does anyone think the light bulb may have burned it?
lydia_lady_fla

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:41 pm   

Thanks for your comments guys. Oh...I feel so terrible.....if it's really caused by the bulb......but I still don't understand how it happened though. I have the floating rock on one side of the tank, and the bulb is hanging on the other end of the tank cuz I thought of the possibilty that he might get burn. Well.....since I couldn't think of what happened....I want to make sure I'm doing everything right to aid in his healing. Shoudl I leave him in a dry tank for now? And is it normal that it takes so long for him to heal? It's been three weeks already...my poor baby....
yourprettypiggy

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:59 am   

The only thing that I think it could be is a fungus, it might be a good idea to drydock him over night, just keep the basking lamp close by but not too close to make him dehydrate.
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:08 am   weird sores

hey stray if indeed it is a fungus can you use a fungus gaurd for fish in the turtles tank? what about also adding stress gaurd to the tanks water?
lydia_lady_fla

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:02 pm   

I have read that you can use stress coat when the turtle is sick, but I can't remember where. :(
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:10 pm   

I haven't read all the comments so if anyone else has said this, sorry...You NEED to get him to a vet ASAP. Could be something simple, but more likely it's an infection (looks like it's spread) and you need the opinion of a vet.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:26 pm   

Although it's a little faint, I see two raw looking areas...Were they blisters before that popped? It's strange that they're pretty much in the same area on each side. Does he have any more on the skin in the rear? Bloody patches on the skin can be a sign of vitamin A deficiency, but I wouldn't just try a Vit A supplement.

If you've been keeping him in clean water (how often do you change it?) and he's been basking under the correct lighting (UVB lamp and heat lamp) and the sores aren't healing, your best bet is taking him to a herp vet to determine the cause of the problem and give you something to put on it.

BTW, 50 quarts is only slightly more than 10 gallons and isn't nearly big enough for a turtle that's the size of an "adults's hand." (He needs at least 10 gallons of tank per inch of shell length not including the curve). He also needs to be in deeper water--if he's only in water deep enough to stand in and he's that big, it must get dirty quickly.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:01 pm   

Great news, I checked on the turtle last night and today, and found his wounds are getting much better than last week....looks like it's healing! The left "shoulder" looks totally fine, although the area where the wound would be is a bit discolored. And the right shoulder's wound is getting paleier than it was. They were not blisters when he started to have them, it just appears to be reddish and it got more red as each day goes by. Currently I couldn't keep him in a dry storage box cuz it gets so cold at night and I had to put the heater in. I change the water daily or every other day depending on my schedule to try my best to keep it clean.
yourprettypiggy

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:23 pm   

Have you had him checked out by a vet?
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Next

Return to Urgent Care