Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hi again

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:59 pm   Hi again

Hi again,

Since I had to re-register I guess it would be proper to re-introduce myself also....

My name is Kristy I live in San Diego, CA. i'm 27 yrs old. 8) I have four RES. One is 11 months one is 6 months and two hatchlings that are about one or two months old. I also have a fiancee and we have a four (soon to be 5 in 6 days!) year old son. I work for the gov't.

Ummm, what else? Glad to see we have some moderators here, and what do you know its Jen and Adam!! Have fun guys, i'm sure you will have your hands full! Thats all for now. 8) See you all in the forum!!

YAYAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH our forum is back, yipee!!!!!
-Kristy
punkiemichelle

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:52 pm   

hey punkie! welcome back!
Good to see all weren't lost! hehe.. how did you find the board so quick? it's not linked up yet. or did you just try a bunch of foldernames off of redearslider.com/?? :]
Adam
pkneeyahx
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:59 pm   

No, Jenaero PM'ed me in another forum we both are members of. For some reason I really like this one, it seems most people on here are very personable. Nothing against other forums at all. I have learned so much thanks to forums like these about these little guys!! :P
-Kristy
punkiemichelle

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:25 pm   

Hey punkie..good to see ya! :D :D
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:12 pm   

:D Hello from Tampa, Florida

Great to see res.com back!! Although a member for only a short time, I was sad to see res.com off the web. My name is Jim and we have 2 three year old sliders - boy and girl - Spike and Squirtle. They are our two sons turtles but guess who takes care of them! But thats ok I think they are great pets. We just got a 55 gallon tank and new xp3 filter so I think they are happy.

Hey jenaero, I had posted on the other website to ask you what was the misinformation about feeding that you had received? curious to hear :?:
RES Tampa

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:21 pm   

Hello RES Tampa.. Welcome to the board!
Adam
pkneeyahx
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:12 am   

Tampa,

The guy at my local pet store where I bought my turts told me what to feed and how much, how often. This was all before I stumbled across any message boards. He gave me a 10 gallon tank, told me they didn't need any special light or heating and said that tank would last years. Gave me a bottle of zoo med pellets and some dried shrimp. Told me to feed according to the instructions on the can, which said to feed as much as your turtle will eat in an hour :roll: I'm just thankful I found so much info on this and other forums.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:33 am   hey everyone

Hi, this is my first time to this message board. I'm so thankful that I found a place where I can talk about my turtle to make sure she's healthy and I'm taking care of her the way I should be. I got her when she was about 2 years old, and I've had her for a couple of months.
Mandy

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:18 am   

Hi Mandy, Welcome! :lol:
-Kristy
punkiemichelle

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:50 pm   

Hello Mandy and Tampa!

Nice to see new people to the borad (even though I've only been a member for 3-4 months)

It's an excelent place fro good information . Way better than pet store owners who will tell you what your turt 'needs' according to what they can sell you at the time. I was also told that I didn't need any special lighting or basking spot when I got my turtle (christmas gift from my girl friend).

thank god I found this place. I've used and abused these people a lot in the past, and will likely continue to do so as long as I possibly can.

Thanks guys!

Oh, but I found this awesome pet store close to where my new apartment is. One of the women there own a softshell and aligator snapping turt, and she's a great sourse of info. The best thing is, I asked her how much to feed a RES, and get this.... she siad "I don't know"! An actual pet store owner said 'I don't know'. It was awesome to know she'd rather say nothing than give me the wrong info.... Anyway, King Ed's Pet Store is the place for me :)
bradhart

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:09 pm   

I know, pet stores are bad. When I bought my turtle, she was in a big pool of water with 2 other turts that had no basking area, no place to get out of the water, no light sources, and the store said all they fed them was freeze dried shrimp. They told me to get her a 20 gallon tank and fill it half way full, and she's 5 inches big! They also told me that all she needed was a place to get out of the water and a little heat. I feel bad for her now that she had to go through that. Maybe that's why she seems unhealthy to me now, considering I've only had her for a month.
Mandy

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:33 pm   

Mandy

Why do you think your turtle is unhealthy? Did you get a filter and any kind of lighting with your tank? :?
RES Tampa

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:25 pm   

yeah, she has a good filter and a heat lamp and a uva,uvb light, and a place to bask. She seemed (because she is better now) unhealthy to me because she was shedding a lot of skin, and I didn't know why. I think it was because she didn't have a good source of vitamin A or a basking area or light at the pet store. And also, when I put my hand in to get her at the pet store, the water was ice cold. :cry: She seems very happy now, thanks to the advice I got from Jen on here. :D
Mandy

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.