Other Turtle Discussion :: What was your turtle doing when you saw him/her for the ...

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:36 pm   

So, maybe 3-4 years ago, we went to this giant yard sale kinda place in Rogers, OH. And everybody was walking around with this adorable tiny turtles, in the typical death-traps of habitats. I wanted one so bad, and although they were only like 10 bucks, I told myself NO. Well, it's a good thing I waited until I had a job because back then in college, my mother would have killed me asking for $300 for the whole setup.

So, fast forward to the end of September. My grandmother had passed away a few weeks earlier and I was in a bit of a slump. So, we're walking around a street fair in Warrensburg, NY, and once again, everybody's walking around with baby turtles. So, my husband, being the doll that he is, talks me into getting one. I didn't get to pick him out, I just got a turtle in a tiny little glass bowl (literally a bowl maybe 4" across). And he spent the rest of the day flipping himself over and getting stuck on his back, so I had to flip him back over. Fortunately for my turtle, the bowl they gave us was cracked, so we bought him a 3 gallon tank (mind you, I was going off of the care sheet I was given) and some food (they didn't even give out the typical little baggie of food). Then we needed to get a tank heater because suddenly the weather got colder and the water temp dropped and he stopped eating, got the heater and he has been wonderful since then.

Now that I've had him for over 2 months (and out of any danger-zone of him dying on me), I'm working on getting him a setup he deserves! But I now tell my family and friends, NEVER buy a baby turtle on a whim!
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
TheComputerGremlin

Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:34 pm   

What a fun post!

I was very young when I had my first RES. This was the 70s, and turtles were kept in those little plastic islands. We didnt' have him very long. :(

The new turtles we have were a craigslist find. My husband let me rescue them because, judging from the CL pics, the girl had no idea how to raise them. These two goodly-sized turtles (4 & 5.5) in a 20 long tank with only about 10 gals of water in it (and nothing else). BROKE MY HEART! AND, she told us this tank would last them at least another year! YIKES. Okay, reptomin queen (no veggies ever).

She said it was okay to leave them in the water that was left in the tank for the 30 minute trip. Huh? Isn't that a bit dangerous?

They actually came home from there in a rubbermaid box with a towel. Baruch kept trying to get out. Bashful Sara stayed in her shell most of the trip. We only had the 20L for a few days before getting their 55 gallon. I realize that it is not huge, but at least they have room to swim and stay out of each other's way - a vast improvement. We will be building a large vivarium in the next 18 - 20 months or so, if all goes well!
k
1 Flat Coated Retriever mix (Allie)
5 black cats (Steven, Jynx, Philip, Lilliana, Luca)
2 RES (Baruch and Sara)
Plus a tribe of semi-feral outdoor cats
(Pyewacket, B-dub, Finnegan, Patrick, & Weezer)
1 Husband (very tolerant)
kimberly183

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:07 pm   

My turtles were at a little family owned pet store a little over two hours away from where I live. I live in a small town, but the idea of a pet turtle facinated me [no one I know has seen a turtle besides my babies. They're extremely rare where I live, even as pets. Non-existant in the wild].
I decided to go, and expecting tiny little things, I found my 7 inch darlings. They had been rescued and brought back to health by the owners of the store, as they owned four sliders themselves.
My first reaction was, Oh my god where am I going to put them? Second: Oh my god they are so adorable!!!!
My aquarium was too small, and being a broke student, I have them living in the biggest Rubbermaid tub I could find, but they love it, and I love them. Win-win!
I :heart: my Sadie and Lucy.
ceratlc

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:53 am   

i was picking my 3 years old niece from her school when i saw her holding something in her arms. i soon realised it was a small pet carrier.

when i looked up inside, i saw a small green round little creature swimming over shallow water and looked at me with his tiny winnie eyes...

seemed that he said : "hello, your niece had just bought me few minutes ago...would you mind to take good care of me?
it's not that i don't like your niece...but i think she is way too little to give me proper care."

luckily i love animal and i've read some articles about turtle in local site animal lovers (before it was closed)...though i never consider having a turtle

so, i droped my niece at home and went again directly to buy the largest tank, filter and turtle food i could find. afterward i spent the rest of the day made a proper basking spot and setting up the tank...

it was tiring...but it was also worthdoing for the satisfaction seeing the little turtle swimming around happily
compas is my RES and i'll do almost anything for him to be happy and healty for the rest of his life
compas

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:54 pm   

I don't exactly remember everything, i was only 4 when i got Alex, i called her that cuz i didnt know if she was a boy or girl and figured Alexander or Alexandra would be good. She was the size of a quarter and like Terryo came in a very small sphere-type bowl, blue gravel and a "beach" with a palm tree in the middle.

Of course i didnt know very much about them and my mom really didn't either. She lived for probably 3 YEARS in a plastic tub that was probably 30 gallons, near a window and all that was inside was a large sea shell. I didnt know very much lol, no real lights, no heater or filter or cuttlefish bones, i fed her turtlem pellets from my hand, one by one. She was so good to me. I'm only 19 now n ive had her pretty much my whole life now, shes sucha queen and she knows it!!
squall3773

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:56 pm   

I went with my mom and her boyfriend to pick up her bf's kids from his moms house and "Forgieo" was sitting in a bowl full of rocks on the kitchen table. My moms boyfriends sister had found him in the middle of a field nowhere near water and I was sitting there playing with him and he was walking around on my hand and whenever they would pick him up he would get scared and go in his shell. I was the only one he would come out of his she for. :D My mom told her I have always wanted a pet turtle and my birthday was a few days away sooo...he turned into an early bday present :D I brought him home in a plastic bag with a little water in it and he lived in a bowl of water for a few days [i didnt know much about turtles] The day after i got him I woke up and he was gone :shock: We searched and searched for him and couldnt find him. We thought he couldnt live without water for long and he'd be dead....wrong...he turned up the next day at the top of the stairs lol...Then after i took him home he was living in a little plastic cage until i found out hes supposed to have lots of water and be in a big tank, and even though ive had him almost 2 years im STILL working on getting him everything he needs.
1 RES-Forgieo
1 Goldfish-Alani
1 Kitten-Oliver
1 Boyfriend-Shane
xx.cuppy-cake.xx

Post Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:49 am   

My first two turtles were when I was probably about 10 years old living in Germany. I don't remember their names or what they looked like, or how we got them. Me and my sister had two baby turtles each, noboby in my family knew anything about how to take proper care of them. I realy liked my two baby turtles, but when we moved to America we weren't allowed to take them with us. My mom gave all four of them to a neighbor. I have wanted to get another turtle ever since, but this time I'm doing all the research I can about them. I only have one baby turtle and that is enough for me. I want to take realy good care of my baby turtle, I want her to live a very long healthy and happy life. I bought Pebbles online from someone that seems to know alot about turtles and realy cares about them. When I first saw her she was in a plastic container inside a box, she didn't seem very scared since she wasn't hiding in her shell. I think she's happy to be here.
DebbieJean

Post Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:59 pm   

I watched all the turtles in the tank for a while. About six of the eight were either really bad pryamiding or basking and not afraid of new people. Crush and another one were swimming wildly. We decided on Crush and after about five minutes of chasing him we had our baby.

He came home in a critter carrier with paper in the bottom. He kept trying to climb the wall the whole ride home.
*Kat

Bala Sharks- three unnamed
Cats- Oreo & Lola
Goldfish- Spot, Brain
RES- Crush
Dragon Eel- Muffins II
VanishingReality

Post Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:27 am   

When my aunt showed my brother two baby turtles all the way from virgina. they were quater sized. It was about 5 months ago. Now there half of a CD sized.
Take-One

Post Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:32 pm   

What great stories. OK may as well add mine to the mix. A friend of mine does theraphy work for this family. The brilliant parents gave a 5 yr old 2 RES sigh. One promptly died. The male was sitting it a little tank with just a bit of water, no light, no basking area, nothing oh and some pellet food.

My friend convinced them to give her the turtle so I could place him. I have another friend who has a bunch of land and 2 lakes for her turtles. Sooo I look at Pookie sitting in this little plastic case and my heart breaks. I've always wanted a turtle and here is one in need of some serious TLC. So I call my friend and tell her I'm keeping the turtle, she laughs and said she figured I would.

I had already done a ton of research (Im anal like that LOL) and decided I was getting a 55 gallon tank right off the bat, with all the fun equipment including XP3 filter. I put little 2 1/2 inch Pookie into the tank and he promptly sinks to the bottom. He didnt know how to be a turtle and couldn't swim, didnt want to eat, bask etc.

So out desperation I went to a good reptil store I know of and told the owner my story. I was informed it isnt even legal to sell turtles that small. He recommened I get a female turtle (Pebbles) to teach Pookie to be a turtle.

So 9 months later, both turtles are doing great and have gotten huge. And Im saving up my pennies to get a 180 gallon tank for them LOL.
Rottie_mom

Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:44 pm   

my dad brought 2 small red eared sliders home a male and a female. now i still have the male which who lost his girlfriend a few months of the winter days.

i got another turtle kitty nails at the pet store. they wore all moving rapidly except the 2 turtles basking. i saw about 14 in the really large tank. i said give me 1 which was 20 dollars. he took a ladder went up there and grabbed a turtle and put it in a box. "female, 5 inches" bought her and now my 2 turtles live under 1 roof together
im a true slacker but when it comes to family, my slacking mood becomes a black force 24/7

pets: 2 red eared sliders
small fry (male) and kitty nails (female)
blackforce247

Post Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:51 pm   

Well my story is a lot liek everyone elses, except I didn't pick Sisqo.

I was 12, and was visiting my family in New York. The firs tthing I noticed after entring the house from the 14 hour drive, was the smallest critter carrier you've ever seen, with a bright orange top and a small green something inside it. It was a turtle! Tiny little thing, only about the size of a quarter. I played with him, and came to find out my 3 year old cousin won him in a street fair. (how hard do you think that was if he was only 3).

So my mother promptly made me wash my hands after playing with the little guy. When my grand parents asked why mother explained that turtles CAN carry salmonela. So they freaked out!

They refused to let my 3 year old cousin go any where near the little guy anymore after that. And I felt so bad, I just knew this little cutie couldn't be sick. So I asked if I could have him so he wouldn't die. He was after all in about a 5inch long 3 inch wide critter cage... with about a 1/2 inch of water... I knew that wasn't good and I was only 12.

Needless to say, right before we were leaving to drive back home, about a week later, my grandparents and screaming 3 year old cousin, brought the little turt out to me.

Sisqo (named for a popular hip hop singer with a huge song at the time) rode back home with us, for 14 hours, in 1/2 an inch of water.

I bought him a 10gla long tank, heater, lights, big gravel, and food, about 2 days after we got home. Sadly though I was bad to forget to clean the tank or fee dhim for a while...

I'm surprised he made it so long. Its been 10 years now and he's a trooper!
Swaypippin

Post Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:08 pm   

Well... this could take a while.

Speedy & Squirtle were an inch & a half long and in a 25 gallon tank with just about a thousand other little guys in the entrance of a gothic looking store on main street wisconsin dells.

Kash & Softy were in eggs when my best friend came home from Michigan with them. Then they went immediatly to the water surroundingtheir little birthing island.

Sandy was in a PetCo live animal box on my kitchen table with my father holding it.
1 Collie:
Donner
1 German Shepherd:
Chase
4 turtles
RES: Speedy (Male)
Squirtle (Male)
Sandy (female)
Spiny Softshell: Kash (female)
Find all my turtle pics @:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/turtleluvr/
RES4ever

Post Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:11 am   

Wow I can't believe on of my threads got turned into a sticky!

Well I got new turtles so I guess I can do another one...

First time I saw lil Tobiko he was drying out, almost dead, with puffy eyes on a rock by the shore of a FILTHY lake in a park.

First time I saw Miso he was in his shell inside a 3 gallon tank with 1 cm of sludgy water with lots of rotten shrimp floating around. I thought he was dead.

First time I saw Tiny she was sitting in a yellow plastic tray with 2 cm of sludgy water. She was staring at me and when I moved closer to her she hid in her shell.
2 Chinese Goldenthread turtles ~ Miso&Mafan
1 Chinese Box turtle ~ Chief Lemon
2 Redfoot Tortoises ~ Sheegua & Muugua
1 Toy Poodle ~ Pudding
3 firebellied newts ~ Cassandra, Mr.Poo, and Wiggles.

http://flickr.com/photos/the_naturalist
Tenodera

Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:52 pm   

We got our turtles last Monday. When we went to go and pick them out we were standing there forever trying to decide whiche ones we wanted. Finally we picked them. Jeff's turtle, king Boo was swimming back and forth and looking at us. And mine, Koopa, was swimming right alongside him. So we figured they were friends!! Now having them for just under a week they are very interesting and I can't wait for them to get used to us so they aren't so skiddish!!
Jen
2 RES
Koopa and King Boo!
1 Chihuhua~Josie
1 German Shepard/Collie mix~Ki-Adi Mundi
Lets get a turtle.
Soze82

PreviousNext

Return to Other Turtle Discussion