General Care Discussion :: Moving her throat in and out like a frog?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:59 pm   Moving her throat in and out like a frog?

Ok yes that sounds pretty weird but yesterday I was watching her and I noticed her seriously , like puffing it in and out, but Ive only seen her do this once so Im not sure what this could mean, have any of yours did this?
JessieBabe

Post Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:25 pm   

The kind of have puffy necks but I have never seen Rexi puff it out like a frog before.
Vtolds

Post Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:32 pm   

mines does it too. it goes up and it neck just fills up and when it goes back it turns flat. i notice that it doesnt croak it just grows bigger and smaller by inhalation now and then
im a true slacker but when it comes to family, my slacking mood becomes a black force 24/7

pets: 2 red eared sliders
small fry (male) and kitty nails (female)
blackforce247

Post Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:36 pm   

yeah I dont know, it was odd but I havent seen her do anymore. So maybe she was yawning inside of her throat, you know how we sometimes hold our yawns in, maybe shes doing that
JessieBabe

Post Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:37 pm   

I was just watching Rexi very closely and her kneck does come out slightly when she breaths.
Vtolds

Post Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:44 pm   

oh good, well atleast its nothing serious, Donatella keeps me on my toes haha
JessieBabe

Post Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:21 pm   

It's normal. It's just her breathing and sniffing the air. Spot puffs out his throat when he's about to be fed.
SpotsMama
SpotsMama
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:32 am   

My hatchling does it whenever his nose is out of the water.
res08

Post Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:09 pm   

they do that becasue it helps aid their breathing, kinda like a diaphragm. after all, they are encased in a hard shell so.. that makes breathing a little weird for them. Rolo does it all the time and i think its cute. if your watch them closely their throat goes in and out slightly when they are breathing normaly when their throat puffs out its like a deep breath i suppose. a turtle sigh!
~amy

Rolo- Female RES 3-4 years ~ lives away from home now :(

Jim- Fiance
Dein211

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:32 pm   

I could be off on this and it's only from my observation of my own turtles. I noticed my female does this when she is stuck somewhere I think it's when they are nervous or stressed out. Last night she did it when she was stuck behind my fish tank in the basement which I only bring her down maybe once every 2 months. I opened the tank doors below and she was there unable to get out and puff puff puff like a frog.
Raising turtles is very rewarding..
1981camaroz28

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:55 am   Re: Moving her throat in and out like a frog?

I can actually move my throat in and out at will! I don't know how.. It just happens! I can't find anything on the internet explaining this. I call myself a frog because of that :?:
Cristal

Return to General Care Discussion