Urgent Care :: Lump on Neck! Friend's RES

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:55 pm   Lump on Neck! Friend's RES

Hey All,

Anyone heard of a RES, or any turtle in general, getting a large lump, or lumps, on the side of their heads/necks? Just went next door to my neighbor's house and saw that his RES has a large lump on the side of his head/neck. Looks like a large cyst but I'm no doctor and have only 2 weeks' worth of experience with RES. So I sure don't know! :(
I told him he needs to take it to the vet, but I think he doubts the potential lethality this 'thing' might present. I just wanted to ask if anyone has ever heard or experienced anything like I've described so that I can relay to him what needs to be done, if anything, short of a vet visit. I'll try and attach a pic here shortly. I know that means a lot more. Plus it'll be good for everyone to see.

Thankfully my 8 greenies seem to be doing ok. Built a new basking area for them to lounge on and play in the (artificial) sun. :) I'll send pics of that as soon as I can.

Thanks for listening and thanks in advance for advice. :~)
judo42

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:24 pm   

Does it look something like this

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/medeyes.htm

(look about 3/4 way down)
-Kristy
punkiemichelle

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:43 pm   

Aww heck! Thank you very much punkie! That is exactly what it is. Ear abcess. I'll post a picture of it here later this evening so everyone can see what it looks like from someone on this forum.

I even looked on that site but didn't find that page. I just looked under the Medical Information but didn't go into the various sections. Guess I need to look a little harder next time! :D
judo42

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:52 am   

Here are a few pics of my friend's setup and turtle. Tank is way too small for one of the turtles, let alone, two but it's all he has to work with right now. I encouraged him to get better filtration though.

You can't see the lump real well. My camera isn't the greatest for closeups.:(

Image[/img]
judo42

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:58 am   

yep, looks like an ear abcess. A vet visit is in order. One thing that I know causes this is dirty water. Tell him to get a better filter/bigger tank asap or it's just going to keep happening.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:36 am   

You're right Jen. His tank isn't filthy, but you can tell that the filter he has is not quite up to the job. I've already mentioned better filtration to him so I guess we'll see what happens.
judo42

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:39 am   

Just make sure you tell him that if he doesn't get a better filter and a much larger tank that he's going to keep putting those turts thru painful vet visits, not to mention the cash he'll be spending. Maybe that'll get his attention
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:33 am   

HA! Funny thing you mention money, cause that's about the only thing he responds to. I'll be sure to continually remind him!
judo42

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:53 pm   

I hate austin's turtle page, they take forever to load on my computer.
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:47 pm   

Hey Stray,

Have you found a better or other Medical site for greenies? That's the only one I've heard of and it seems to be pretty comprehensive though. You're not using dial-up are you?!? ;)
judo42

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:24 pm   

personally, I love ATP :D
jenaero

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:11 am   

I love ATP too. If you go thru the Forums over there, you may have better luck in loading faster.
soopermum62

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:45 am   

I third ATP.

Judo 42, for another medical site try http://www.anapsid.org
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:51 am   

Cool, thanks Marisa.I actually got a lot of my initial greeny knowledge from reading Melissa Kaplan's site. Pretty comprehensive and informative. Thanks again for sharing. :D
judo42

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:58 am   

You're welcome. I actually had a more specific link, but it seems to be out of commission. MK is good (and thorough).
marisa
Retired Mod

Next

Return to Urgent Care