Urgent Care :: PLEASE HELP!!

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:37 pm   PLEASE HELP!!

today while i was outside w/ my kids i noticed my dog chewing on something. yep, a turtle. i don't know much about them and i'm not even sure what kind it is. after a little research i think it might be a RES. i've never seen one like it before in my area. where are they native to? my daughter wants to keep it, but i want to do my "homework" first. any help is greatly appreciated!!!
rawhide

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:10 pm   

Did the dog break the turtles shell? Can you tell if there is any other damage to the turtle? It may need some vet help but that may cost some big dollars. Also placing a wild turtle in captivity is not exactly fair to the turtle. If unharmed I would direct toward the nearest pond. Big time and money commitment to properly care for a turtle. Read the stickys on the various parts of this forum for a good idea of what would be in store.
RES Tampa

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:12 am   

there is a tiny chip on the shell, other than that it seems ok. keeping in mind, i found this turtle in my backyard, i think this might have been a pet someone released. i live in the middle of my neighborhood, nowhere near a pond.
rawhide

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:03 am   

do you know if it is an aquatic turtle? If it's a land turtle you don't wanna go putting it in a pond somewhere. Can you post a pic or describe what it looks like? Color of shell, color of skin, any markings on the head? Where do you live?
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:17 pm   

RES are native to the southern U.S., but can be found far outside of their native area due to the turtle trade and their hardiness. If it's got webbed hind feet, it's aquatic; if it has red/orange streaks on the side of the head, it's most likely a RES. How big is it? How does it behave when you approach it/pick it up? (Does it act tame?) What are you feeding it--will it take food from your fingers?
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Urgent Care