Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: 8 is Enuff

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:18 am   8 is Enuff

Hi All,

I'm the er, proud?, new father of 8 RES. Little overwhelmed with the eating, defecating, cleaning of tank and other maintenance that comes with them but am overall very happy with the little greenies. Have had'em for about 2 weeks now and have finally gotten to a point with the tank and water quality to where I can relax a little and start to finally save a little bit of my hard-earned money to be able to upgrade to better conditions for them. :)

For a little background, I have had several turtles although that was when I was younger, 8 - 10, and living in Kentucky. I used to just walk out in the backyard and grab box turtles for a couple of hours worth of entertainment and then let them go after I got bored playing with them that day. Was always nice, cause I had a steady supply of turtles to play with without having to worry too much about their care with them being in the wild.
I haven't had any dealings with turtles since then until I got mine about 2 weeks ago. A guy I know had 10 RES and wanted to get rid of them and a friend of mine took two of them but I was undecided. Anyway, ended up that the guy just wanted them gone. Well, I had no equipment, not even a tank, so the guy gave me his whole setup for free. He didn't have everything, but it was enough to get me started where I didn't have to spend a lot initially, which is a good thing cause I didn't have a lot. :)
*****DaSauce - go easy on me here*****
Well I took them cause I was afraid that he was just going to trash them or give them to someone who wouldn't care for the properly. Of course I had no idea as to what the proper care was, I thought I would be better able to adapt to their needs since I'm single and live alone.
The fellas range in size from 3in up to maybe 5in or so. (Da Suace I already know what you're gonna say!!! :)) The tank I have is maybe 75 gallons, but remember that I paid nothing for this setup and I am actively looking for adopting families for 4 of the greenies. I have 3 that I like for sure and feel that with another tank, I can accomodate 4 of them with minimal problems. I refuse to just give the guys away to someone that may be unfamiliar with their care so I may have a compliment of 8 for a while, but in the meantime, while the conditions may not be ideal, the greenies are well feed and tank maintained and they are definitely adored.

A long post but I wanted to relate the history before I got yelled at or seriously spoken to about not having the proper size tank for the guys. For someone with no money and making do the best they can, I think the fellas are pretty well taken care of despite the apparent lack of adequate tank space. Please note though that I have utilized the full volume of my tank by building a basking area that resides above the tank (the pics will explain it better). Just trying to make do with what I've been given.

My next post will have pics of my setup and greenies. I'm still loading them up now.

And if you made it to the end of this I owe you at least $2.00 for your time. :)
judo42

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:31 am   

ooo $2.00 yay

I know there are some websites that will help you find homes for your turts. I'm not sure what they are or how they work really but there are people that are willing to help find homes for them. That is if you feel up for letting "strangers" get them.

Good luck
Nicole
Hide and Seek are almost 4.5" each
1 Bearded Dragon named Ben :)
kneecole

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:36 am   

Sounds to me like you are doing what is best for your turtles and looking for adoptive parents for the four is a good step, I am new here myself but I have not seen any criticizm from anyone here, it is not very helpful to criticize other people for not having what is needed. We all do what we can for our pets, some of us are able to provide a better place for them than others, I have recently seen some pictures of a friend's setup, they have a plastic pond surrounded by chicken wire for the enclosure, basking area, plenty of room to roam around, needless to say I was instantly jealous :lol: :lol: :lol:
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:05 am   

Save all those 2 dollar offers judo42.. looks to me like your going to have to open your your place and charge admission for the kids.. offer snacks or do anything it takes to generate the money your going to need.

I'm not talking hundreds of dollars here man.. I'm talking thousands of dollars.

I hope your planning on building a swimming pool sized pond..

If there is anyone on the board who could provide you with some direction, it would be oldturtle72.. I think he has 7, and he's a seasoned herper vet. He might be able to offer you some money saving tips.

Good luck!
Adam
pkneeyahx
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:13 am   

Here are the promised pics...

(I hope this works)

As you can see from the pics there was no Basking Area but I took care of that fairly quickly. I'll post some more pics of the Basking Area I built and what the completed, final version looks like.
judo42

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:16 am   

cute lil guys :D
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:19 am   

ahhh resize that avitar.... save it as a thumbnail ;)
Nicole
Hide and Seek are almost 4.5" each
1 Bearded Dragon named Ben :)
kneecole

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:22 am   

Working on the Avatar now....=)
judo42

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:26 am   

Thanks Jen, and thank you all for the information on adoptions. I don't mind too much with the guys going to a stranger as long as I feel that they will have a good home. I know that they're probably a little crowded in the tank, but I figure that a little overcrowding is better for them than poor care. They have plenty of food, clean water and attention, so I think they can stand it a little longer until I can find some of them a proper home.
judo42

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:25 pm   overcrowded

Wow what cute turtles wish I lived closer I would help give and get new homes for the little guys good luck on your search......I just spent 20.00 in an over crowded tank at a pet store for my RES the funny part is my grandson saw it and feel in love so guess what his birthday present was....didn't dare tell him it was my turtle either so we rushed to the pet store (yesterday) and handed out another 20.00 to replace mine before he guessed the truth :lol: his pet is very happy and well cared for and my grandson gets sooo many toys and stuff the pet thing was a gr8 idea
Don't put a question mark (?) where God has already put a period (.)!
lydia_lady_fla

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:41 pm   

make sure the turts cant eat the gravel, I suggest bigger gravel than their heads :wink:
-Shady: 3" RES; 1 year old
-Scooby: 1.5" RES;
-Bubbles: 1" RES
-Tipper: 4 year old Rat Terrier
shady1616

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:03 pm   

Judo42~ I appreciate your honesty. Your turtles look pretty happy. :) I do think 8 turtles have to be alot of work. :o I have 2 RES and thats enough work for me. But you have a good heart to save those turts.
vickiebe

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:02 am   

Thanks for the thought Lydia and for complementing my greenies. :)

Shady...I totally agree with you and have thought the same but I've left it for now cause they've always had that gravel in there sine before I got them. I'm also doing a lot of diff things to their home, you know, renovations.:) Anyway, I want to try to do things slowly so that they can adjust and they won't get so stessed out. Trust me though...the gravel is going soon!

Vickie...Thanks for the kudos. It's nice to have other RES owners appreciate what we all have to go through for our greenies. It makes me feel good to think that I'm actually taking something, or in this case somethings, that totally depends on me and providing it a safe and healthy environment.

All...here are the pictures of my newly unveiled basking area. Well, actually, it's technically, the greenies' basking area but I basically jsut lease it out to them.:)

This is the Loading Ramp where they can climb up from the water...

judo42

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:23 am   

8) Cool basking area! Do you have the plexiglass just taped or is it glued as well?
RES Tampa

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:45 am   

I used aquarium sealer to glue the astro-turf to the plexiglass and as you can see, had to use tape to hold the sides together. It's pretty sturdy, despite the look of it. I've tested it out some and am sure that the fellas can't get out. Wouldn't have it up there if they could. ;)

Now that I've built it, I think I'm gonna redo it it some, I'll post those pics once the renovations are fully completed. =)
judo42

Next

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.