Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: To the Moderators...

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:49 pm   To the Moderators...

Greetings and Salutations!

Wonderful site you have here and very knowledgeable members too!

I have several turtles recently acquired and I have done a tremendous amount of studying and research on RES. I am by no means an expert or even an intermediate authority on turtles, but I wanted to ask what your backgrounds are relating to turtles in particular and herps in general. Please do not react to this post offensively or assume that I am questioning your knowledge or suggestions. I am very interested in RES and am having a great time with mine. I just wanted to find out if you are just enthusiasts about RES and relay information based on personal experience or if any of you have backgrounds in Herpetology. I just recently became a member of this site and would just like to know who I'm speaking with when I make additional posts.

Thanks! Again, great site and even if I don't feel that I personally have anything to contribute to the site, just reading the threads and posts are great education.
judo42

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:47 pm   

Well, judo42, hope you continue to find the information you read here useful. I have no formal background in herptology (yet). Like you, I've done a lot of reading and research simply because I find these creatures so fascinating. There can be conflicting information out there, in which case I tend to rely on my personal experience with the turts I have and have had. I also heed the advice of other posters on the web (you kind of get to know who knows what they're talking about after a while) and people I know in situations when I feel I'm getting over my head.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:04 pm   

Well said. Same here. I grew up in a house full of animals, but I've always had a fascination with reptiles. I've done a lot of research over the years. Every science project from grade 4 right thru highschool was based on reptiles and their behaviour and care. I am by no means an expert but I have learned so much thru research and most recently, from experience, that I am confident when giving advice when needed. If there's something I'm not sure about, I say so. :D

Welcome to the site!

Jen
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:24 pm   

Exellent, thank you. A pleasure to meet you both! :D :D :!:

Glad to make your aquaintances and look forward to talking with you both soon. Thanks for helping to make this an informative site.
judo42

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:11 am   

good stuff judo.. I don't think there is a limit to the amount of valuable information you can possess when it comes to herping.. I find this board to be very eye opening with lots of creative ideas and a wealth of help at the same time.

Glad to have you..
Adam
pkneeyahx
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:46 am   

You're not kidding Adam. I learned a lot of good info searching the net when I first got my greenies, but it wasn't till I found this site and started reading all the posts that I really started to see the trends with the good and bad info out there. All good info here so far. Too many people in the know here to let anyone get steered wrong which is great!

Just tonight I went to Petco to get some filters and basking light and a lady was in there with 2 tiny little inch long RES buying supplies. I kinda eavesdropped on the conversation and the clerk was telling her that a 10 gallon tank would be fine for them both for a year or more. Needless to say I politely corrected the clerk and graciously provided the lady with the web address for Turtle Talk. I'm looking forward to seeing her on here cause she seemed pretty excited about them once I told her about their personalities and how long they can potentially live. I felt very satisfied going home. :)
judo42

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:31 pm   

Great work, even my chest filled with pride just thinking about one less uninformed turtle owner :lol: , keep up the good work.
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:07 pm   

Thanks Stray! Just glad that I found this site with all of the information so that I actually know what I'm talking about. :) Feels good to think you helped make a diff, even if it's only in a small way.
judo42

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:39 pm   

Well, information is something like a ripple, it starts out small and grows and grows, all you have to do is to make that first ripple :lol: :lol:
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 3:48 pm   

Well said :!:
judo42

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 4:45 pm   

Thanks, I get lucky sometimes :lol:
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:13 pm   not a pro (yet)

hi judo like everyone here Im not a professional but have searched and searched and feel good about the advice I can now give to others (like you....and still able to help steer people right) I love and trust this site here even more than the pet stores they are less informed about the little critters they sell than I am (I look like a professional compared to them :lol: ) when I went to the local pet store to purchase the cuddle bone (she knew I was buying for a turtle that day) she informed me those were for birds after I explained why a turtle had needs of them she finally said well as high as our water content is in this area they dont need extra calcium I continued to get the cuddle bone (she has never tested my water just a gr8 cover for lack of knowledge I think) she does not sell turts quoting the 4'law to me yet she did have 2 lagoon death bowls on a shelf. I suggest they were for bird.... bathes :twisted: our conversation was really very nice and I feed her info. slowly and she does not sell the pet she was shocked I could purchase them caz they r illegal and said if the health dept went in......I wondered if she would sic the proper dept on her competitors one is in ala. about an hour from her the other would be in Panama city beach fl about an hour from her the other way but my guess is she will go chk it out and c how to get around the law herself caz she did ask how much I paid for mine :lol:
Don't put a question mark (?) where God has already put a period (.)!
lydia_lady_fla

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:10 pm   

I hear ya Lydia. I'm really enjoying this site myself. There were a couple of forums that I had been on, unrelated to Greenies, where the moderators were just full of $hit and weren't too helpful. I didn't mean for this thread to sound bad or infer that the moderators here were unknowledgeable...I just wanted to make sure that the people here were as helpful and friendly as I try to be.
Very nice to meet you and I look forward to having many more 'chats' with you and the other members here. :D
judo42

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:47 pm   

Judo42,
I came to the orginial Turtle talk about 2 years ago, a complete novice with my first Turtle. I have since learned a lot from the people on this board, and From another board (turtle forums@ ATP). I am trying to work towards a degree in vetinerary technology. I plan on learning as much as I can about turtles.
I have had many different types of animals and right now I own 4 RES (2 are rescues, both had shell rot) 2 Brittanys, and 2 Persians and 2 Maine Coons(had 6 cats, but 2 moved out with the daughters). Most of my advice either comes from personal experience, Web research, or Advice from either well seasoned people at my 2 favorite boards and a couple of internet friends that are also Herptologists.
soopermum62

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:01 am   

Very nice to make your aquaintance Mum. Good luck with your degree and thanks for introducing yourself. ;)

I have an uncle who's a herpetologist. I haven't seen him for over 15 years, but I remember as a kid going down to his basement and seeing hundreds of the glass pickled egg jars, each with 3 or 4 pickled snakes in them. One time I went over there and he had a live alligator in a bathtub in the basement! That was wierd :!:
judo42

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.