General Care Discussion :: TURTLE WILL NOT EAT!!!

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:54 am   

I talked to "squiggles" on AIM... His water temp is too high (in the 80's), so I again suggested the ice as a temp fix. Because there is no heater being used, Marissa is there anything else he can can do to lower his water temp?

I also suggested that he puts the pellets on the basking area, my scooter doesn't like eating them when they're really wet. At least that way there is food present and when the turt is ready to eat he can eat. I also suggested floating escarole or raddicchio in the water as well.

Other than banging my head off a wall, I have no idea where to go with this one.
Dylan ~17~, Brianna~14~ Ethan ~10~ Ava ~4~
flutterby

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:18 am   

Another thing he can do is to replace some of the water with colder water to bring down the temp. I believe Steve said he has had to do this too. So, if he replaces part of the water and then floats some ice in it, that should keep the temps down in the water. He'll just have to do it every day and keep an eye on it.

Did you ask him what sort of light he's using?? Maybe its too large for the size tank he has and its also heating the water?? What kind of heater?? Just some other thoughts and possible causes :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:39 pm   

Turtle keeping is not usually easy and do not expect pity when it is not warranted. And, I just this think this need repeating:

cam722 wrote:well perhaps if you came on here and posted something that wasn't offensive to most reasonable people, you'd have gotten something other than what you did. Maybe you need to re-read what you posted and view it as others might.

Again, have you read all the info on here about enticing a turtle to eat?? The informations is there you just have to make an effort..

I have a large tank and the only way to cool it is to do partial water changes or use a considerable amount of ice. If its a small tank and you have a canister filter, you can encase it in a Styrofoam cooler and pack ice into it. Again, it only works with smaller tanks (under 40 gallons), at least when I tried it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:05 pm   

Squiggles, maybe we would be a little nicer, if you didn't look like such an idiot.
TexasJagsFan

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:22 am   

I bring down the temp by partial water changes. I also (and this was explained in another post) freeze bottles of mineral water (drink the mineral water and replace with regular water) and then add them to the tank to help lower the temp.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Previous

Return to General Care Discussion