Equipment Review and Discussion :: Zoo Med Canister Turtle filter

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:34 am   Zoo Med Canister Turtle filter

i was thinking about getting one of thease. I need to know if it operates outside of the tank, and wat it comes with and wat i need.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:36 pm   

If it's a canister filter, it would be outside the tank. I don't specifics about it, you'd have to do some reading on it (go to ZooMed's website) and compare with other model canisters. What size tank is it rated for? What size tank are you planning on putting it in? How many GPH does it pump?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:30 pm   

the canister filter is rated for 30 gallons. and i am planning on putting it in a 30 gallon tank. i know wat your thinking. but right now i have a 20 gallon approved internal fiter which is doing a wonderfull job. but i need something just a little bit better, so i dont have to worry about the tank getting dirty.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:14 pm   

Well, it's up to you (and yes, you know what I'm thinking :) ). If it were up to me, though, I'd get something more powerful (rated for 3X the size of the tank) so it would keep the tank even cleaner and so I could use it longer. I don't like to have to keep buying equipment as I upgrade.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:31 pm   

i am really thinking hard about this. i only have so much money. i might get a better canister filter so when he gets bigger it can take the waste. something like a magnum. but i dont want to have a whirlpool in my tank. *yikes*
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:57 pm   

i think i am gonna go for the H.O.T. magnume canister filter. It says it is 250 gph. but i dont know how many gallons it is aproved for. i know it is enough though. dose anyone know how many gallons the H.O.T is aproved for?
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:45 pm   

the filstar xp1 is 250 gph and is for 45 gallon tanks. (the xp2 is 300 gph for 75 gallons and the xp3 is 350 gph for 175 gallons)

the Magnum is going for $42.49 @
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... 2004+22768
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:30 am   

we have the HOT Magnum 250 which is for 30 gal

and the other is the Magnum 350 Delux, for 55 gal... something like that.

as far as they go, we have had NO problems with it, EVER. we've had the HOT 250 for a good 3 or so years now, and the 350 is on order, so we will let y'all know how it is when it gets here!!

this is the only site where i found gallon ratings, everything else had exactly what marineland.com had about the gph. hope this helps!!
http://www.aquariumguys.com/magnum.html
=o) Jared & Kelli
JnK Acopan

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:26 pm   

well i think i am gonna wait till my turtle gets bigger, then i will get a filter. but for now the one i have is doing a wonderfull job.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion