Equipment Review and Discussion :: Eheim skim 350

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:00 pm   Eheim skim 350

Every since I went to natural cork I got cork dust. Washed so many times and still dust. Guess it doesn't help Piggley has long claws and like to run up on it and dives off several times every morning when he wakes up. Part of his exercise program for the diving team in the next Olympics. Tried patting it up , paper towels , net with floss everything just to fine. This little Eheim skim 350 is amazing ! Had to make a plexiglass mount for it going into a stock tank , suction cups don't work on a stock tank. It's is great ! Even Piggley likes it , he rest his head on float and lets the water rushing in flow against his chin. Back to my crystal clear water again , Great. I was almost ready to get rid of the cork.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:46 pm   Re: Eheim skim 350

Sounds interesting, does it have it's own waste storage?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:20 pm   Re: Eheim skim 350

Yes it does , small only like 1" piece of course foam and enough storage space but you could cut to fit anything you want. It's only 5" long and 1 1/4 wide runs at 5 watts . Keep's that dam 3'x5' surface perfect ! I love it ! Big Al's Pets sale for $24.99 used my points got it for $9.99 best product I got in years. With a stock tank you must have clear water to look down into it and always did but using this skim 350 never thought it could get even better. I only got it for the cork dust but it some how does more. At 18" water I can just about count how many eggs are in my ghost shrimp on bottom. Will see how many days till I have to clean it , who cares if its daily , it's good. Have all my surface flow pushing across the 5' area slowly to it. Also gets those small pieces of veggies Piggley make a mess with , no more scoop netting !

Take a look and this is on my 15 year old camcorder : https://youtu.be/oVkrumqXt80

With a glass tank you view from the side but sure it would help the surface are too. A stock tank view from top ! A clear surface is a must.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:08 am   Re: Eheim skim 350

It does look like a pretty good buy. My piece of cork has been in the tank for a number of years, so there's no more fine pieces floating around. How often do you need to clean or change it?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:27 am   Re: Eheim skim 350

Just got it yesterday around lunch time , this morning all perfect ! Will keep all posted. Just say I'm more picky than a RES about my water !
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:30 pm   Re: Eheim skim 350

Just to see what's in it today took it out. Carefully on a white plate I washed it. There was the cork dust ! Also a few pieces of very small lettuce Piggley missed. Sure once a week cleaning will do when I do water changes and all will be good. May try on 2 weeks just to see what happens large enough storage area for that. Bottom line I love it !!! May keep it running even when cork stops with all that dust , it's doing more , like the way surface looks !
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:04 pm   Re: Eheim skim 350

Nice, I might check it out. Since I have a cork wedge in the middle of my tank, one half doesn't get much surface agitation. This or a bubble wand might work :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:28 pm   Re: Eheim skim 350

Save money if you have an air pump use it. Our turtles cost enough already. You could always put the Eheim skim350 on your Christmas list or wait for a good sale. For me what I'm using it for truly works and I love it !
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:08 pm   Re: Eheim skim 350

True, but that means I have to go through a bunch of boxes to find it :)
steve
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion