Equipment Review and Discussion :: Magnet clips safe for aquarium heaters?

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:46 am   Magnet clips safe for aquarium heaters?

So after I discovered these awesome and overpriced accessories, I have never looked at classic suction cups again. (that and suctions don't stick to rubbermaid too well) I am wondering if the magnets would interfere with aquarium heaters at all. In zoomed's description they indicated it could be used to hold heaters as well. I'm just wondering because magnets and electronics typically don't mesh too well together. Should I be concerned that my heater will go fubar from the magnets?
WMah

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:36 pm   Re: Magnet clips safe for aquarium heaters?

I'm curious about this too. I think it might pose a problem but I haven't really looked into either (yet).
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:54 pm   Re: Magnet clips safe for aquarium heaters?

I just emailed eheim's support to see what they say.
WMah

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:34 pm   Re: Magnet clips safe for aquarium heaters?

Small lite duty aquarium magnets been sold for some time. Maybe those are the cause of some unanswered heater failures? Too close ! To me I bet the strong Rare Earth magnets (NdFeB) today is a No ! Look's like more homework for me to do !
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:48 pm   Re: Magnet clips safe for aquarium heaters?

I've used both zooMed magnets and rare earth magnets to hold heaters for years. No issues.

Heaters are a coiled resistive wire encased in a sealed glass or titanium tube coupled with a very basic thermometer. There's really nothing for the magnet to damage. It's not like there any sophisticated microchips or magnetic storage devices in there.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:55 pm   Re: Magnet clips safe for aquarium heaters?

I haven't had time to do my homework on this. Always hear about magnets and problems but none have been proven yet. It's good to hear no issues , thanks !
litefoot

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion