Equipment Review and Discussion :: UPDATE / fx free vacuum

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:03 am   UPDATE / fx free vacuum

Been awhile now. I did not /do not like the fx vacuum that came free with my FX6. Well paid shipping. Would not but at that price. That's just Me ! One thing I use river rocks. Every time I do a water change I vacuum hard. I hear some say you can't clean river rock well , this is my solution to that problem and it work's great ! Could work for others?
Attachments
IMG_20170421_084506207.jpg
Pull's everything out the river rocks.
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:46 pm   Re: UPDATE / fx free vacuum

Does it suck up any of the rocks? With a stock tank, I would think just stirring everything up and sucking it out would be the way to go.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:34 pm   Re: UPDATE / fx free vacuum

I keep the red valve on top 3/4's open and works very well , may pickup smaller rock but a shake it fall back down. The past I used that stirring method and let the filter catch up then clean it. That's when life was a rush. Being retired gives me more time with Piggley and maintenance. If only a small water change I keep Piggley in the tank so he can help , always bumping my hand.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:57 am   Re: UPDATE / fx free vacuum

Sounds good! I still have not taken my FX6 out of the box.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:43 am   Re: UPDATE / fx free vacuum

glad to see you found some use for it! after you initial impressions of the product i don't think i would want to risk the impeller of the fx6 using this thing!
WMah

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:34 am   Re: UPDATE / fx free vacuum

I sometimes wonder if a manufacture is more interested in selling replacement media and or parts , to some that's where the real money is. Me I will take my rig and pump out the front door. I want to get my money's worth out the FX and let it have a long/longer life .
litefoot

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion