Equipment Review and Discussion :: Qusetion on Cork

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:42 am   Qusetion on Cork

The great cork I got seems to have a lot of fine like dust particles within it. The more Piggley uses it the more dust I see. Floats !Yes some small pieces come off once in awhile , net gets that , but I have to place a small piece of filter media in net to catch the dust like particles. Not bad enough for a skimmer , just like my / Piggley's home clean. Is this something with real cork I have to deal with. Anyone ever seal the cork with something safe? Or just live with it.

Preparation of cork I used.

I soaked it in clean water for days. Used a bristle brush to remove loose particals and deep clean it. In my big crab pot I cooked it long time outdoors , removed any tannins and soaked and brushed again. Did I miss something? Once in tank did not leach out any tannins was clean. Piggley has big claws and as he uses dock or plays on it he makes that dust then floats on water. Being new real cork does that ever stop or its normal?
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:32 pm   Re: Qusetion on Cork

It'll be like that for awhile and mostly clears up. From my experience, the initial particles will be from the top of the bark. Eventually, you might get some particles from the bottom, especially the area that is submerged. It might be worse if piggy likes to bite the bark. I normally don't see any in the tank, only on my fingers after handling the bark.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion