Equipment Review and Discussion :: Air pumps

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:39 pm   Air pumps

Do air pumps help alot with water circulation and if so what is a good one to get . Right now i jave a 40 gallong tank with 2 res with about 25 gallons of water . By summer they should be in a 100 gallon tank . Thanks in adnace for info
Paulie494

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:54 pm   Re: Air pumps

Those res's must be getting bigger by now? Bet they can't wait to get in that 100 gallon. Air pumps for turtles really not needed , and will not add that much circulation. I have a big pneumatic pump from my company , it's only in there for looks for Me. Had some turtles just like to sit in them must feel good to them , others could care less , then some would chew up the air lines. Air pumps are needed for over crowded fish tanks to add some oxygen in the water. Tiny bubbles will do that better than large bubbles. Even largest air pump at pet shop to me will not add much to circulation that would be good for turtle tank. Really your preference. You could look into a second filter, since yours is border line. Think about the move to that 100 gallons. You know that you will need a better /larger filter. Having a second adds that extra water flow and you get the cleaning effect unlike an air pump. Some say clean one at a time so you save all that bio going on in the filter's. Took me 30 years to get to the FX6 , had to make little steps over the years. Ask around , some say two filters work. Just make sure , say you put 60 gallons in the bigger tank then you would want the two filter to be able to handle a flow rate of 120-180 gallons for a turtle ! Turtles need at least 2x's flow to 3x's , they are messy. If you can that FX6 is GREAT . Bet it would be the last filter you ever need. Just watch the outlet line placement ,that will give different sound effects. Purging can be loud / placement lowers that sound. If I had to do it all over again I would start with an FX6 !
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:05 am   Re: Air pumps

You do need a little surface agitation to prevent oil slicks and to oxygenate the water. Your filter should be able to that, but an air pump can do that as well. It can also power some tank decorations which some turtles like.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:14 am   Re: Air pumps

Great thing this forum gives you the different approaches we take. All can and do work. Most all air pumps today still use rubber diaphragms and only warrantied for one year. ($20-$300 at pet shops) Past I used cheap air pumps at Walmart for $10 -$12 dollars there largest brand and lasted just as long as A $200 air pump. This is just Me ! Before I retired I got an old industrial air pump with a piston from work for free. Rebuilt it and still have several years life , hopefully. If one could buy it be around $500 , now that's overkill , but was free.

Remember balance is everything. Parameters / chemistry / cleaning / water flow in a small tank it's hard to do. The larger water volume the easier to control everything. When those 2 RES's get about 3" the 100 gallon tank say with 60 gallons water will be looking small for them.

Experimentation can be fun , years ago money as a kid was tight. I would take a cut up plastic bottle to catch some water from filter change its direction to stir up the water. My first diffuser / waterfall. When I was a kid in the 60's DiY was / is fun even today.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:25 pm   Re: Air pumps

Thanks for the advice guys . When I move into my new house in June I am contemplating trying to get a 150 gallon tank instead of a 100 gallon and then I should be good for long time . Apartment is way too small for it now .
Paulie494

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:56 am   Re: Air pumps

You should know the sex of the turtles before you decide on that final tank... though going as big as you can should always be plan A :)
steve
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion