Equipment Review and Discussion :: FX6

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:27 pm   FX6

Reading a lot on the fx6. Reviews...etc but I got to see one in person on a 125 gallon tank. I'm only saying this for the only one I saw but the noise was pretty high? As some reviews stated. It was in a den about the size of a normal living room and had tile floor. To me sounded like a 60 cycle hum. They said it always made that humming sound. With it on the far side of there den they do not notice as much. To me ??? Is this the norm of the FX6 ? Would/could anyone put it there bedroom? If true I could make a sound proof box to reduce the loud humming. Could this one just be a noisy one ? How do the FX6 owners out there feel about any noise they may have? Thanks' for input.
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:00 pm   Re: FX6

Every filter is loud to a point. How well do you sleep? Can you sleep with a humidifier running in the room? I'm just saying it's not silent! And when they purge they are real loud. I can hear mine purge upstairs and it's in the basement.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:21 pm   Re: FX6

Thanks' Kansasslider ! Just thinking about getting one ,maybe next sale. Here so much on how great they are I'm trying to plan ahead if noise would come into play. Not that it would be in a bedroom , only example , I could make a vented sound box for it. Me , I sleep very lite...past three years I have a mated pair of doves using my metal arning to sleep on. Some nights they keep me up. The new wife will not let me chase them away...she wins! How long you are using the FX6 , do you clean yours every month or two? Heard what you keep in your setup , FX works for you , great. Be nice if a real sale came around again. Not just raising the MSRP and call it a sale.
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:56 pm   Re: FX6

I use carbon,purigen and ceramic rings in mine. I clean it every 2 weeks. I have had the fx line for years. They are great as compared to every other one I tried.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:46 pm   Re: FX6

Thought one may go longer on maintenance with all the media it holds , but then , a larger load calls for more. Good info on the media you use. Thanks' for that. Is it true bio ball/rings need to be at the last stage?
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:33 am   Re: FX6

Well I have 3 turtles so I probably clean my filters more often than most. I have ceramic rings in all 3 baskets. The middle basket is just full of rings.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion