Equipment Review and Discussion :: In Need of Filter Advice

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:37 pm   In Need of Filter Advice

Hi all,

Long time lurker here... :)

I've been using an XP-L on my 29 gallon tank for about 3 years or so. Its kept Link and Zelda very happy. I took it apart for my usual cleaning routine this past weekend but I cannot get it to work correctly again.

Here is what I typically do:
  • Unplug
  • Pull up on the quick disconnect handle, then disconnect it
  • Give everything a good scrub
  • Hook everything back up, lower the quick disconnect handle and let the canister fill up
  • Plug back in

This time however, when I plugged it back in, the filter worked for a few seconds and then started making this awful grinding noise and then just hums like it's not doing anything. The water level in the canister drops like there is air coming in, but I have no idea where it could be coming from. All of my hose connections are sealed with metal hose clamps. The seal around the lid is intact.

Here's a video of what it's doing:

Things I've tried already, none of which are working:
  • Unclipping one of the clips to let the air out that way
  • After priming, I've tilted the whole thing towards me to force any air out
  • Emptied the entire thing and re-primed from the start
  • Cleaned and re-set the black plug on the motor housing (contacted API and they said to not leave it flush, it should be sticking 1/32" out)
  • Inspected the motor housing for any obvious cracks or damage (found none)

Really frustrated, as I seem to go through this or similar issues every single time I clean the filter. API has been willing to help but unable to come up with a solution. :(

I can't keep letting the turtles sit in the tank with no filter running. so I'm at a point where I either need to have a "eureka" moment and fix it, or say screw it and buy a different product.

Any suggestions? If I go the new filter route, what would everyone recommend? I have two red-eared sliders, each about 4 years old. We have been planning on upgrading to a larger tank this year - from 29 to 40 or 55.
simula67

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:19 pm   Re: In Need of Filter Advice

Sorry for the late reply, I just saw this. One of my XP3s does this sometimes. Once it primes as it is supposed to and this happens again, unplug the filter. Lift up the quick disconnect lever so water in the intake tube/hose stays put. Lift up the disconnect and then add some water into the canister to top it off. The put back the disconnect, push down the lever and plug it in.

Be careful of a little spillage, I always place my filters in a plastic tub for minor accidents (I've had a few over 13 years :P )
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:18 am   Re: In Need of Filter Advice

The tub is a good idea - I'll make sure to start doing that in the future!

I ended up mailing the motor back to API after trying a number of different solutions. They generously offered me a one-time warranty extension. Really great customer service. So, we will see what happens. Thanks Steve!
simula67

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:05 pm   Re: In Need of Filter Advice

Sounds good, I wish you luck!
steve
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion