Equipment Review and Discussion :: I decided to turn my Fluval 305 into a undergravel filter

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:10 pm   I decided to turn my Fluval 305 into a undergravel filter

So far it has been running for 2 weeks and there is nothing sitting on the bottom (my attempt to reduce vacuuming with large river rocks). I plan to update how long it'll take before it needs a filter change. Has anyone else done this?
livedeeprob

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:12 pm   Re: I decided to turn my Fluval 305 into a undergravel filte

Is it the only filter in there? How often were you changing it before?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:35 pm   Re: I decided to turn my Fluval 305 into a undergravel filte

Im currently also running a fluval 405 in the same tank. I found that I had to clean the filters on one of them every week or so. Also, its a major pain to vacuum large river rock. So far I see nothing collecting on the bottom and I couldn't be happier.
livedeeprob

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:54 pm   Re: I decided to turn my Fluval 305 into a undergravel filte

I think running both is the key and it's great that it's working out. Do you have a picture of how you have it set up?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:18 am   Re: I decided to turn my Fluval 305 into a undergravel filte

Would love to see photos as well if you can.
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:35 am   Re: I decided to turn my Fluval 305 into a undergravel filte

Photos really did not do any justice so I uploaded a video instead.

https://youtu.be/dFq5pFu3oFk
livedeeprob

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:05 pm   Re: I decided to turn my Fluval 305 into a undergravel filte

I have seen it done in at a few places and it seems to be working in your tank. Congratulations !
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:51 am   Re: I decided to turn my Fluval 305 into a undergravel filte

Thank you! Its almost been a month now and I have not changed the water at all yet. It still looks nice and clear. For sliders, I guess there is no such thing as overkill on your filtration power.
livedeeprob

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:49 am   Re: I decided to turn my Fluval 305 into a undergravel filte

Some waste you can't see, but stick with a routine of partial changes and you're all set.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:32 am   Re: I decided to turn my Fluval 305 into a undergravel filte

You did a great choice on your filtration upgrade. I agree with steve on the partial water changes. Depending on which tank I do this to, I use anywhere from 3 to 10 gallons of spring water which is my preference during changing of my filter cartridges at the same time. My water always stays crystal clear doing it this way and is safe for the fish to instantly. I do this normally every 5 to 6 days. Once every several weeks I will use a aquarium siphon as well just to hit the areas with hidden debris. Your upgrade I am sure, will make you very much happy. One of my immediate family members is one of the older experienced custom web designers who has built custom websites utilizing his own codes on notepad, custom 3d graphics, forums like these and he creates some of his own software, His big pay days are in custom 3 d flash web design now of days and in addition, very enhanced search engine optimization in which he is very good at..

Anyways what I am getting at as he came down from upstate Florida for two days, seen my turtles and my large 2 room storage area and he mentioned with the high price value that my turtles are, overtime, besides the people that are into turtles now, there would be a lot more people getting into them later to with the unique colors and species and with my experience in the clinic with still having contacts there to get reptile medical supplies and medicine , he said that he would be willing to make a fully custom 3 d website for me for with no money at all (being that we are a tight nit family) in exchange for me to help him set up a turtle tank for his wife and him. I am so honored that he provided me this outstanding opportunity. I told him about your filter upgrades, Joshuas customize portable ponds , turtle girl , who is the member on these forums, on her ideas and Steves outstanding diversified knowledge and education.

My cousin knows the forums here is sort of speak my online home . He just said that if my prices on items can be kept low or compatible, that my interest in helping people in general within the hobby, such filtration units and anything turtle related, could help members here and for sales locally who are also within the hobby. He asked me if I wanted a forum of my own and I told him no that I enjoy this one with all my heart and he went on and asked me if I wanted a fully custom flash online chat room instead, that I may consider however. It is ideas such as your upgrades that sparked him to mention this and I am thinking very hard on it. He specified with my large 2 room secured storage area that I have for free being a property manager, there would be no overhead expenses on keeping the products other than shipping of course that would be paid by the buying party therefor the cost for each item, I can keep low and affordable.
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:52 am   Re: I decided to turn my Fluval 305 into a undergravel filte

It has been one month and a half and I am just now making a water change. I do understand that there is some waste you cannot see and for that reason, I will share what my water quality is today, before a water change.

Nitrate is low between 5 and 0ppm
Nitrite is low between .25 and 0ppm
Ammonia is very low, almost at 0
Ph is between 7.2 and 7.6

All within acceptable readings. No water changes until now. Only adding about 5 gallons a week due to evaporation. I live in Phoenix. :)
livedeeprob

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion