Equipment Review and Discussion :: FX6 - Perplexed

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:40 pm   Re: FX6 - Perplexed

Sorry that should have said below the water. I'm cleaning it out and taking it all apart tonight. I guess we will see.
tbirdie

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:57 pm   Re: FX6 - Perplexed

Have you called Fluval to ask them what's up? I know the 5 has a small tube on the inside of the lid. I make sure it's clean. I'm not really sure what it does but it's not in the 6. This has really got me stumped. My filters let out a lot of air when I unplug them for cleaning and when they turn off to purge.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:03 pm   Re: FX6 - Perplexed

I think I'll call them tomorrow if this cleaning doesn't do it. Really, this is driving me crazy!
tbirdie

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:58 pm   Re: FX6 - Perplexed

Kansasslider wrote:Have you called Fluval to ask them what's up? I know the 5 has a small tube on the inside of the lid. I make sure it's clean. I'm not really sure what it does but it's not in the 6. This has really got me stumped. My filters let out a lot of air when I unplug them for cleaning and when they turn off to purge.

I agree here, I am kinda stumped with it as well. I just got back home late tonight how ever I am curious on this. I agree on calling fluval and I will do some research tomorrow afternoon to try to help the progress.
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:13 pm   Re: FX6 - Perplexed

Well, I can't say that the phone call went well or was helpful in the least.

I told her the issues we were having, and she said, "Let me explain something to you. The filter pushes out air if there is air in the filter. If there isn't air in the filter, then you are not going to see bubbles." So I think that's about when I thought this phone call might not actually be helpful at all. I informed her that I had spoken with several FX6 owners and everyone's unit pushed some amount of bubbles, that purely the simple day to day operations of a water filter would cause some kind of air bubbles in the filter or else this added feature of it turning over would be a moot point... She seemed convinced, without much from me, but says the only thing that could possibly be wrong is the motor, and that it seems like it must be fine because I can hear it running and see it pushing water.

So I am going to send her pictures of our setup and I guess if nothing else comes from it, I will send the motor in for replacement.
tbirdie

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:00 pm   Re: FX6 - Perplexed

She seems to be indicating that the filter cannot function properly because it is sitting next to the tank and thus the intake tube (other side of the tank) is not going straight up as it would if the filter could sit behind the tank. But that's not possible and I know many people must have it sitting next to the tank as well...

Feeling really frustrated.
tbirdie

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:13 pm   Re: FX6 - Perplexed

There is the setup. I await your thoughts.
tbirdie

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:31 pm   Re: FX6 - Perplexed

Have you tried switching the hoses around? Might be something to try. I wouldn't send your motor in as it sounds like there is nothing wrong with it. They do say to keep the hoses as short as possible. I can't tell what hose is the short one?
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:37 pm   Re: FX6 - Perplexed

The short tube is the outtake, right next to the filter. Do you mean try moving it to the other side of the tank and having the intake closer instead?

This is so frustrating. I felt like she didn't even know anything about the filter. I just can't imagine how this would affect the filter bring able to turn over and clear out bubbles, but I'll try it. I wonder why she didn't mention the mechanism that actually turns over to release the bubbles. If I'm understanding that's how it works anyway.

I'm not trying to be short with anyone here, but it's just really frustrating to spend this much and not even have a legit tech support.
tbirdie

Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:00 pm   Re: FX6 - Perplexed

I'd keep the shorter hose on the inlet side too. Is your outlet nozzle producing a lot of bubbles?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:44 pm   Re: FX6 - Perplexed

Okay so move the intake to the shorter hose. I'll do that tonight.

No, there are no bubbles. None. Ever. If I unplug it and plug it back in later, no bubbles. The only time it bubbles is when it's filling up after cleaning.
tbirdie

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:14 am   Re: FX6 - Perplexed

I'm just re-reading some of this thread... so you're saying there are no bubbles being produced by the filter? Because that's what you want, or at least other filter owners.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:30 am   Re: FX6 - Perplexed

No bubbles, as in twice daily it is suppose to purge bubbles and it does not. But we established there should at least be some bubbles from the normal operation of the filter. Right? That's what everyone has said anyway. It used to bubble...

I also feel like the filter performance has been subpar.
tbirdie

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:51 am   Re: FX6 - Perplexed

I'm don't have any of the FX filters, but if there are no bubbles, then you might not notice it purging. If the filter behaves differently during purging, and is no longer doing it then I would either look for some sort of reset or their is something faulty.

My canisters do get air bubbles, but have no purging feature. So once every few days I hear a gush/gurgling for a few seconds and it doesn't skip a beat.
steve
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion