Equipment Review and Discussion :: Filter Advice

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:04 pm   Filter Advice

I have a 125 gallon tank which is typically 75% full. Our turtle is about 3 years old now. The filter I have for the tank is an API FilStar XPL. I am having some challenges with water cleanliness and odour lately and I'm thinking I may need a larger capacity filter to keep up with the amount of waste my not so little guy is now producing. We try to do a partial water change every week, with a full change once or twice a month. I do feed the turtle in the same tank, so I know that adds to it.

Any suggestions on Filter size or other measures I can take to help ensure the tank stays cleaner longer? Thanks for the help!

Cheers,
Dennis
LostCanuck73

Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:22 pm   Re: Filter Advice

The FX5 or FX6 will be your best shop. The price has gone up a little, but it's still a good deal.

What media do you have in the XP?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:53 pm   Re: Filter Advice

I've got a single bag of charcoal, 2 filter pads 20 ppi and 30 ppi) and bio chem stars.
LostCanuck73

Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:25 pm   Re: Filter Advice

My mistake -- I have the XP-M model, not the XP-L
LostCanuck73

Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:37 pm   Re: Filter Advice

I'd still go with the FX in a 125. The charcoal needs to be replaced every month. We also like to use something called Purigen. It's similar to charcoal (but doesn't substitute it) and it can be regenerated (soak in bleach) and reused.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:29 pm   Re: Filter Advice

Thanks for the help Steve. Can I use both Purigen and Charcoal in the same filter..that sounds like it would definately help out. I appreciate the help and advice.

Cheers,
Dennis
LostCanuck73

Post Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:35 pm   Re: Filter Advice

Yes Dennis, they can be used together. Let us know how the upgrade goes!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:25 pm   Re: Filter Advice

Steve is correct about the fx6. You might have trouble finding a 5 and for the money I would go with the 6 because it turns itself off to let air out twice a day. Awesome feature! I also like purigen just make sure you get it in a bag not in a bottle. You can get it in a bottle but then you will need to buy a "The bag" to put it in. With the fx in that size tank you should be able to get away with 50% water changes once a week and No complete changes. Carbon will help alot also. Personally I dont do complete water changes. Hope this helps you and let us know how it goes.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:59 am   Re: Filter Advice

Thanks for the advice. I am also looking at the API Filstar Canister Filter - XP-L since I have all of the medai, etc from the model I currently use. I will be picking up some purigen this weekend - I have a Big Al's close by that carries the bags. I am already using Carbon, just was not changing it monthly as suggested by Steve. Hopefully for now, the combination of the purigen and carbon will help keep it cleaner until a new filter is purchased.

I'll let you guys know how this goes, and what I end up with.

Thanks
LostCanuck73

Post Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:27 pm   Re: Filter Advice

How old are your XP filters? There has been some complaints about the newer ones made in China, so I would buy from a place with a great return policy. I have older ones made in France and they're still running pretty well after about 10 years.

I made the mistake of not buying the prebagged version of Purigen too, so definitely don't repeat my error.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:58 pm   Re: Filter Advice

Just sold an filstar api xpl for 80 bucks. Good riddens it was junk! They used to be made of quality parts but that is no longer the case. The impeller magnet broke in half and the actual filter canister broke. Got it repaired under warranty and I sold it. I know the fx is an expensive filter but they are worth every penny.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:20 pm   Re: Filter Advice

Thanks everyone for the advice and help. So far, the XPXL filter has done the trick. It's been running great for a couple of weeks now, and there is a noticeable improvement in the water quality. It may not be as preferred as the Fluval model - but it was definitely more affordable, and I have spare parts now if anything does go wrong in the future.
LostCanuck73

Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:30 pm   Re: Filter Advice

Glad its working out for you.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:53 pm   Re: Filter Advice

So if you can reuse purigen if you soak it in bleach, how do you make sure the water isn't contaminated with bleach? Bleach scares me.
Rickiew04

Post Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:53 pm   Re: Filter Advice

To regenerate, use 50% water and 50% bleach. Then rinse, rinse and rinse. They then recommend a soak using Prime (their water conditioner/dechlorninator) but I just rinse it a lot, leave it in clean water, then put it into the fridge until the next time I need it (I alternate between 2 sets).
steve
Site Admin

Next

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion