Equipment Review and Discussion :: Filtration question/suggestions

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:50 pm   Re: Filtration question/suggestions

that was my initial plan, too add some slate. I'm trying to leave it as "natural" as possible.. PVC, real natural, i know.. ha
NYstyle

Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:40 pm   Re: Filtration question/suggestions

Some people wrap fake plants to the pvc. There's also black pvc (usually a special order online) and you can top it off with cork. If theres a nice curl to it, you won't have to use several pieces like you would with tile.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:45 pm   Re: Filtration question/suggestions

So... I've updated to a Fluval 405, I picked it up, used, this weekend. I thought i cleaned not out well enough, however, apparently I didn't. The water now has a reddish tint to it. I did a 50% water change yesterday, which cleared it up temporarily. By the end of the night it was back to the reddish tint. It hasn't affected any of the shrimp, fish, or the turtle in the tank. Has anyone experienced this OR know what it could be? Any help/recommendations would be awesome..

for the filter set up, three trays of bio-media, the forth tray is half bio-media and two bags of carbon. I did notice that the foam pads are red, could that be the problem?
NYstyle

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:04 pm   Re: Filtration question/suggestions

Reddish tint? I've never heard of that. Any other changes/additions to the tank?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:46 pm   Re: Filtration question/suggestions

No, everything else has been in place for over a month. I forgot to mention, after testing the water, the quality is the same. Actually, the Nitrates are actually a little lower than in the past.
NYstyle

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:20 pm   Re: Filtration question/suggestions

That's weird. Are all the decorations artificial? Do you prep the water before putting it into the tank?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:45 pm   Re: Filtration question/suggestions

the plants are real, the "tree" and cave are plastic, and a PVC basking area. I don't prep the water, and I've done it the same way all along. Besides the filter, the only difference is that I'm running an under gravel with my intake hose in the under gravel tube. That's been going for over a week, I believe its something in the filter.
NYstyle

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:03 pm   Re: Filtration question/suggestions

I have an FX6. The sponges are black and the pad I'm not using is blue.

Is it possible you have some none Fluval parts?
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:13 pm   Re: Filtration question/suggestions

I really don't know. I ordered new sponges. I really hope that's all it is. Thanks again for all the help guys..
NYstyle

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:21 am   Re: Filtration question/suggestions

Slight chance that the fake decorations are leaching color, in particular anything not made for aquariums. With that amount of color, you can take a paper towel and wipe some surfaces to see if it's on there too.

There is a bacteria that causes a pinkish coloring that is supposed to be harmless (you see it inside toilets and sinks) but I have not actually seen it tint the water before. I'd probably to a partial water change and add fresh carbon and/or Purigen. And you're in NYC... lately the water from my faucets have a yellow tint, I hope we don't have any issues right now.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:06 pm   Re: Filtration question/suggestions

I thought the same, but nothing comes off when I wipe it, and everything has been in the tank for over months.
I'm actually not IN NYC, I'm in MD. Originally from NY..
NYstyle

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:27 pm   Re: Filtration question/suggestions

Is the stool normal? I'd try a 100% change and see how fast it comes back. Do have any other tanks?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:46 pm   Re: Filtration question/suggestions

Funny enough, just yesterday I pulled all the river stone out, 100% water change, moved to sand substrate, and replaced the foam pads in the filter. The waters still a little cloudy from the sand, otherwise the water is pretty clear. NOT pink any more. Before I did the change i noticed the zip ties starting to turn a little pink. Thats what prompted all the "construction". All the wildlife is doing fine. I figured if anything was wrong with the water, the shrimp would've been the first to go if there was a problem. That's what happened when the tank was first starting up and my Nitrate level spiked. I checked all the levels today, after a 24hr cycle, and everything was great, for once. I did through cleaning of the filter, there was a little brownish residue on the paper towel. I'm guessing that there may have been some something in it, that I missed when I initially cleaned it out. I don't really know... Thanks again for all your help!
NYstyle

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:50 pm   Re: Filtration question/suggestions

Glad to know it's been resolved!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:13 pm   Re: Filtration question/suggestions

The difference is night and day, I think Sand gives it a much cleaner look. Image

Consistently, PH 7.4-7.6 ppm
Ammonia and Nitrite 0ppm
FINALLY, Nitrate ~10ppm

I have notice that my tap water PH is typically a little high, so there may not be anything I could do??
NYstyle

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion