Equipment Review and Discussion :: (Update)Filter recommendation on a budget

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:33 am   (Update)Filter recommendation on a budget

Hi guys. I'm new here. A few years ago a friend who works for a local vet needed to find a home for two res. At the time I agreed to take them, I was told they were coming with everything I needed. Wrong. Since taking them on, one of them has almost doubled in size. I think the tank I was provided is about 50 gallon. I know that is not nearly large enough. I was given no filter. So I started with a cheapo filter designed for a fish that hung on the side. Then I switched to the zoo med 511 which did really well for about a year I would say. The last few months with it have been a hassle. My water turned green and the pressure flow has all but given out. This morning I lost one of the rubber seals in an attempt to clean the hoses thinking they may be clogged. It's really a piece of junk IMO. Now I am on a journey to find a better filter until I can manage a bigger aquarium. At this time the water level is pretty close to the top so that they can access the ramp to their basking area. I really can't spend much more than about $50 at this time. I've been scouring ebay and amazing hoping to find a high-end filter in excellent used condition but I'm reaching out for some advice. I love my turtles. They are my favorite pet. They do require much more maintenance than I anticipated :lol:
Last edited by cherbette on Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cherbette

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:31 pm   Re: Filter recommendation on a budget

Green water is more an algae problem than just a filter issue. For an off brand filter @ $50, look at Odyssea CFS 500 Canister Filter http://www.aquatraders.com/Aquarium-Can ... /42044.htm It has some issues, so I'd research it a little first.

You can also get a hang-on-tank filter, like a Marineland Pro Bio-Wheel. Not as versatile as a canister, but still a good filter.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:51 am   Re: Filter recommendation on a budget

The Penn Plax cascade seems to have better reviews than that.... And I can find it fairly cheap on eBay
cherbette

Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:05 am   Re: Filter recommendation on a budget

A lot of people on a budget use SunSun filters. They also have some issues but they are affordable. Penn plax filters are ok. I'd shy away from filstar.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:29 pm   Re: Filter recommendation on a budget

I ordered the sunsun Hw303B
cherbette

Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:40 pm   Re: Filter recommendation on a budget

Have to let us know how you like it when you get it hooked up.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:13 am   Re: Filter recommendation on a budget

I'm excited about the UV aspect of it. No more green water, I hope
cherbette

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:17 pm   Re: Filter recommendation on a budget

I think UV kills the good bacteria though :(
jonathan1683

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:32 pm   Re: Filter recommendation on a budget

But there will be good bacteria inside the canister. However, the bulb will need regular replacement.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:51 pm   Re: Filter recommendation on a budget

It came yesterday. It took me some time to figure out how to put it together because the directions were clearly done with google translate :) After some frustration I figured out the best way to set it up. I did a 85% water change (I tried my best) and the water was fairly clear yesterday. Today it's a little greener and a little murky. It's still 10x better than it was before. However, I'm open to affordable remedies. Right now I'm feeding them Zoo Med...Maintenance Formula. I don't have anything in the aquarium but my two res, the filter, a heater and the basking area on top. Hopefully that helps.
cherbette

Post Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:25 pm   Re: (Update)Filter recommendation on a budget

I just ordered TetraPond Barley & Peat Extract. I'm hoping it will help some.
cherbette

Post Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:33 pm   Re: (Update)Filter recommendation on a budget

What's the Barley & Peat Extract supposed to do?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:45 am   Re: (Update)Filter recommendation on a budget

Keep the water clear. Rid of algae
cherbette

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:08 am   Re: (Update)Filter recommendation on a budget

I also have a huge 40ish gallon tupperware container I think I'm going to start feeding them in. I put the food in the basking area but they just retrieve it and dive into the water to consume. Most everything I've read says the key to keeping the water clear is feeding them in a separate container. All food particles will be contained and the RES poop almost immediately after they eat. I'm hoping feeding them this way will help me keep a happy home for them. Next on the list will be a bigger aquarium.
cherbette

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:27 am   Re: (Update)Filter recommendation on a budget

Turtles can't swallow food without water so make sure there is enough water in the container for them. Not sure about the poop theory mine poop when they want to not right after I feed them.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Next

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion