Equipment Review and Discussion :: (Update)Filter recommendation on a budget

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:35 am   Re: (Update)Filter recommendation on a budget

1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:27 pm   Re: (Update)Filter recommendation on a budget

Kansasslider wrote:Turtles can't swallow food without water so make sure there is enough water in the container for them. Not sure about the poop theory mine poop when they want to not right after I feed them.

Mine prefers right after a water change!
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:36 pm   Re: (Update)Filter recommendation on a budget

That's no crap! :-)
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:09 pm   Re: (Update)Filter recommendation on a budget

I guess that explains why they eat in the water. Good to know lol
cherbette

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:13 pm   Re: (Update)Filter recommendation on a budget

ljapa wrote:Mine prefers right after a water change!

This is very true, especially if I spend at least 2 hours cleaning filters. Some RES swallow out of water but with difficulty and most don't try. Poop after eating applies to some RES, and some RES might poop in a feeding container simply from the stress in being in one.

I feed in a container when I can, but it's not part of the routine. Usually when I bring them inside, they will get a soak and meal. If they get a messy treat, like tuna, then they go in there as well.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:17 pm   Re: (Update)Filter recommendation on a budget

I'm also considering some floating plants to help keep the water clear. I'd really like to go the natural route than chemicals.
cherbette

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:18 pm   Re: (Update)Filter recommendation on a budget

You might have problems with your turtle eating the plants. I'm not sure why your water is green in color but you really only need a good filter and use carbon to keep your water crystal clear.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:14 am   Re: (Update)Filter recommendation on a budget

I'm using both and it's green
cherbette

Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:45 am   Re: (Update)Filter recommendation on a budget

Is the tank getting direct sunlight? Are you on well water?
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:04 am   Re: (Update)Filter recommendation on a budget

Some of the light from the basking lamp does refract into the water. I'm using a Mercury Vapor bulb. The water is getting darker by the day. I really had no issue with this at all until this past winter I believe. Since then I've been trying to figure it out. Still waiting on the Barley Peat extract. Hopefully it will kill the algae. The turtles are also both trying frantically to escape. My smaller turtle has never really tried to do so. The larger one has escaped a few times. I fed them in a tub outside of the aquarium the other day. At first, they both seemed to shocked by the change to be interested in the food but after about an hour my smaller one began to feed. I did it again the next day and they seemed pretty relaxed. They ate all of the food I provided. I am not on well water. I am on city water. However, I can almost smell that the water smells a bit green if that makes any sense. It has an algae smell about it.
cherbette

Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:25 am   Re: (Update)Filter recommendation on a budget

Here is my modest setup.
Attachments
WP_20150811_09_20_02_Pro (2).jpg
cherbette

Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:44 pm   Re: (Update)Filter recommendation on a budget

Does the MVB/topper get too hot? It should also be pointed straight down, otherwise it will lose it's effectiveness.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:38 pm   Re: (Update)Filter recommendation on a budget

I don't run the lamp too long. I don't know how I'd point it straight down with this current setup unless I removed the metal grate between the lamp and the opening to the topper.
cherbette

Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:22 pm   Re: (Update)Filter recommendation on a budget

Something like this:

There's also one that attaches to the side of the tank using adhesive but if you want to reposition it, you'll need a replacement strip.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:28 pm   Re: (Update)Filter recommendation on a budget

Do you use carbon in your tank and if so what brand? You could try purigen. We can fix it by blocking out all light but I want to try to figure out why its green in the first place first. Anything you can think of as to why it might be turning green?
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion