Equipment Review and Discussion :: Filter assembly

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:34 pm   Filter assembly

Hi! I just got a Sunsun 304B filter & there are no assembly instructions. It seems fairly simple & I'm going to give it a shot, but, here comes the silly question, do I put water in it like I did in my Magnum 350? Is there anything quirky about this filter that I should know before I get it going?
thevac

Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:26 pm   Re: Filter assembly

I found this: http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/media/pdf/EF-PDF.pdf

It's a canister filter, it should ideally be placed under your tank. Where did you get the filter from? Is it new?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:49 am   Re: Filter assembly

I got it new off ebay. I've got it all set up, but do I put water in the canister and if so, how much? My previous filter called for a full canister, so I'll assume that it should take some. It reminds me of R2D2. It's a big boy.
thevac

Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:58 pm   Re: Filter assembly

With most canisters, it's empty until you are ready to prime it. In most cases, you can fill it but it can be a bit messy and time consuming.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:52 pm   Re: Filter assembly

When I first set my 304b I did it dry and it took several pumps to get it primed. Since then I have filled the canister almost to the top of the trays and its much easier and less bubbles to purge. With mine I found that it would suck in air if I didn't have all the joints under water on the intake pipe. Another member here used tape and that seems to work too. I used regular hose clamps on the green tubing instead of using the screw on compression clamps because I heard that can cause air to leak. Knowing these things I absolutely love my filter for the past 3 months I have had it. My ammonia stays at 0 and I'm slowly building up the right bacteria to get nitrites under control and so far it has kept the 125 gallon tank crystal clear. I have mine set up with blue pads in the bottom, carbon in the second, and the top 2 full of bio rings. I haven't had an issue with algae yet so I keep the UV light off for now.
james04si

Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:54 am   Re: Filter assembly

I got it together, turned it on and it makes a noise but nothing else. No water going in, no water coming out. I put water in the canister, put clamps on the hoses...same thing. Nada. Unbelievable! I've watched youtube videos & I don't know. No directions, so what can I do besides taking the damn thing apart & starting over. I've been at this for hours, I'm going to bed.
thevac

Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:18 am   Re: Filter assembly

The last thing you do is turn it on. So once the filter is assembled, you start priming it. Each canister might have a different method for that, I think this one has a pump. Once its finished, plug it in and turn it on.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion