Equipment Review and Discussion :: filter that can be adapted for pvc

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:11 am   filter that can be adapted for pvc

I'm finally ready financially to upgrade Renley's filter system. Right now he has two 75 gallon in tank filter pumps, but I'm looking to redo it with a large canister or multifilter pump system. I live in an apartment and hope to use pvc instead of hoses for fear of leaks. I like to think of myself as handy but don't want to spend money on a filter that would be impossible to adapt to PVC. I'm also hoping to use a uv sanitizer along with a 300 - 400 gallon pump filter. I'm planning on making a false bottom out of pvc mesh for the tank where all his poop and excess food will drop down and be sucked up by the pump filter. So I was wondering if anyone has had any useful hints or success stories with canister filters and adapting them to PVC. Which filter was used and what parts were needed for adapting?
Please and thank you for the help.
Renley, Adam & Anthony.
renleybaratheon

Post Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:49 am   Re: filter that can be adapted for pvc

There's always a possibility a canister will leak. So can a tank. I think most hoses are 3/4 in. diameter. An external UV filter will need to be connected through a hose nut or barb, so thats a potential leak as well. PVC bottom is interesting, I had earlier ideas of using egg crate as sort of a waste trap but decided to stick with a bare bottom.

Most canister leaks are from the main o-ring seal failing or being incorrectly installed. I think you still will need hoses with barbed adaptors to connect to a PVC inlet and outlet.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion