Equipment Review and Discussion :: Any filters better than the FX6?

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:17 pm   Any filters better than the FX6?

Hello, I recently purchased the Fluval FX6 for my tank 2 months ago, and it turns out that yesterday it stopped working for no apparent reason. Looks like I'll be able to return it to the store, but I'm wondering if there are any better filters in the same price range that I should look into. This filter dying 2 months into its life is making me question the quality. On top of that, I've been annoyed the by micro bubbles and the slushing sounds this filter makes. A filter that I spent $300 on should not be having these issues in my opinion. Thanks in advance for any advice provided!
Rickiew04

Post Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:27 am   Re: Any filters better than the FX6?

Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear about it. Other filters in it's class will be a bit more expensive and come with the Eheim name. Eheim Pro III XL 2080, Eheim Pro III XL 2180 or Eheim Classic 2262.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:28 am   Re: Any filters better than the FX6?

Yeah, I was bummed out. Thanks for the info Steve. Looks like those others are $400+, so I think I'm going to have to try a replacement FX6 and hope that I have better luck. Maybe the 1 I had was just a bad apple.
Rickiew04

Post Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:02 am   Re: Any filters better than the FX6?

If your having micro bubble problems its not the filters fault. Well not to say filters dont make micro bubbles they do in fact anything that causes water movement will generate micro bubbles. All filters accumulate air. At least the fx turns itself off 2x a day to let the air out. Unlike my Filstar XP.I really like my fx5. I would think you just had a bad pump.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:03 pm   Re: Any filters better than the FX6?

Agreed with kansasslider. The very large eheim classic or the largest eheim pro III are better than the FX5 / FX6 but not for the price. For what's needed for a large turtle tank it really is hard to beat the FX5 / FX6 considering the price.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:31 pm   Re: Any filters better than the FX6?

Thanks for the advice everyone. I took my FX6 back, got a full refund, then purchased another online. I'm hoping my first one was just a rare bad apple.
Rickiew04

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion