Equipment Review and Discussion :: twice a leaking tank

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:54 pm   twice a leaking tank

Hi guys,

So I upgraded the tank size of my YBS's home. I bought a Top Fin tank. I got it all set up, and then I noticed it started to leak :(

So I took it back to PetSmart and exchange it for another. Got that one home, set it all up then noticed it started to leak as well. It's not much but it's enough. I only used 1inch river rocks and a couple of other other rocks from the creek, none are bigger than about 4X4X4

Any hope that the leak will calcify over? Are Top Fin tanks junk and that's why it's leaking? What else can I do?
tjurhs

Post Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:43 pm   Re: twice a leaking tank

I don't know anything about topfin tanks, though I think they are chain store brand and those usually don't have a good record.

I'd return it and try a different brand as no new tank should leak. Leaks only get worse, so don't expect it to get better. Have you located the leak?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:53 pm   Re: twice a leaking tank

no I haven't located the leak.

the tank came from PetSmart
tjurhs

Post Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:52 pm   Re: twice a leaking tank

Sorry to hear, I have a PetSmart TopFin for my fishtank. While it doesn't leak, one of the sides is not square against the back glass pane.
I've heard a lot of similar stories of bad seems and sloppy silicone work. Might want to try another store.
devilduck

Post Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:49 pm   Re: twice a leaking tank

yep there duck, I went to an aquarium shop and bought one. It cost me $25 more but as long as it doesn't leak, I'll be happy to be done.
tjurhs

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion