Equipment Review and Discussion :: Fluval Epic Fail! What now?

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:09 am   Fluval Epic Fail! What now?

Hello all,

So for the past 4 years I have been using the tetra decorative filter system (its an internal filter fitted inside a plastic basking rock) and it seems to do ok, except that since our turtle has been growing I tried to increase the water level in my 55 gallon tank and noticed that the little intenral filter just cant keep up.

This led me to go all out and get a fluval 406- I know its a little overkill, but I didn't want to be underpowered should I put it in a bigger tank in the future. In any case, before I was even able to plug it in, it poured water all over the floor immediately after primering and filling up with water.

Even if this is a simple fix......after this experience I am extremely hesitant about using an external filter, knowing how easy it is for all of the tanks water to get dumped on the floor.

And so...I am wondering what my best option would be for internal filtration. I am thinking of doing away with my decorative filter but getting two internal tetra brand filters. Maybe even a hob filter as a third. I guess three small internals still wont be as nice as the 406, but at least I won't have to worry about leakage.

Thoughts?
zoiberg137

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:48 am   Re: Fluval Epic Fail! What now?

A 406 is not really overkill. Do you know how it leaked? I think we've all had accidents with canisters, it does take a while to get used to it.

Internal filters take up a lot of space and have little media capacity. If I couldn't use a canister, I would go with HOBs.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:36 pm   Re: Fluval Epic Fail! What now?

Our filter sizings: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30145

Either it was not assembled correctly or the o-ring wasn't in place which is really aka not assembled correctly. The fluval also has a shut-off valve to block the water from siphoning. At first hint of leak close that valve... it's the one where the hoses connect to the top of the canister body.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:50 am   Re: Fluval Epic Fail! What now?

I've used all types of filters on my fish tanks over the years. I really prefer the AC110 HOB. They are a powerhouse as far as how much water they will filter and the media options are very versatile and you can tailor the media needs to what you want. They last forever - just an awesome design in my humble opinion. This is what I am putting on my first turtle tank with the following media: sponge, carbon, blue batting material, purigen and biomax on the very top.
L.West

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:48 pm   Re: Fluval Epic Fail! What now?

The 110 is probably a bit undersized for the 55G turtle tank the OP has. Remember we don't size turtle filters the same way we do fish filters. Turtles produce a LOT more waste and therefore need a LOT more filtration to deal with the ammonia from their waste. I'd encourage everyone to read through that link I posted earlier on this thread.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:56 pm   Re: Fluval Epic Fail! What now?

VeipaCray wrote:The 110 is probably a bit undersized for the 55G turtle tank the OP has. Remember we don't size turtle filters the same way we do fish filters. Turtles produce a LOT more waste and therefore need a LOT more filtration to deal with the ammonia from their waste. I'd encourage everyone to read through that link I posted earlier on this thread.

Completely agree. It's a great thread on the link btw.
1 RES - Tomi (75 gal)
1 Leopard Gecko - Leia (20 gal)
2 Fancy goldfish, 1 bn pleco (40 gal breeder)
https://www.facebook.com/varboleda6
vear

Post Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:55 am   Re: Fluval Epic Fail! What now?

Sorry for the late update on this thread...but it turns out that I did in fact install the o-ring incorrectly. The filter is now working great, and I would recommend it to anyone! Truly a life changer in terms of turtle care, can't believe I went so long without it.
zoiberg137

Post Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:26 pm   Re: Fluval Epic Fail! What now?

Glad it's working out!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:36 pm   Re: Fluval Epic Fail! What now?

Glad to hear it turned out OK. As I was going down and saw the post about potentially giving up on the Fluval and going with a different interval I cringed. I had the Fluval 404 (older but nearly identical model) and it worked fantastic on my 55G that was filled to the top.
I build acrylic ATBAs.
Rubicon

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion