Equipment Review and Discussion :: Filtering issues

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:37 pm   Filtering issues

I purchased a fluval 306 canister filter a few months ago. I dont know if I am doing something wrong but it doesnt seem to be performing as I would have hoped. I rinsed out the filter and did a water change yesterday. There area already a lot of floating bits and a lil haze in the water. Any suggestions? Need any further information?
erik951

Post Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:52 pm   Re: Filtering issues

Is the water surface being agitated? If it isn't then you'll have bits of debris and protein/oil slicks. You can position the outlet differently, use a spray bar or use a bubble wand/decoration.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:15 am   Re: Filtering issues

Does your filter have carbon or a fine floss pad? If your water is cloudy these could help. Also water changes.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:28 am   Re: Filtering issues

Did you rinse out your filter media too? And if so, did you use tap water?

Haze could be a mini cycle starting.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:34 pm   Re: Filtering issues

I have a Fluval 306 canister and it came with a nosal sprayer that I position underwater becuase it can come out very hard and actually scares my turtle. I am unable to find spray bars for the Fluval 306 only something called a skimmer. Any ideas on where I could get a spray bar or if there is another solution.

Thanks,
Erik
erik951

Post Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:11 pm   Re: Filtering issues

You can make one for almost nothing.

You'll need a few things from the hardware store:
tubing to PVC adapter
90 degree PVC elbow
some straight PVC pipe (length is up to you)
a PVC cap for the far end of the spraybar
PVC cement

Use the diameter PVC that best attaches to your tubing or use that tubing adapter.
Attach the 90 degree elbow to the adapter .. then the straight pipe and the cap at the far end. Use PVC cement to join the pieces.
Drill a hole every inch or so along the pipe.

You can optionally paint the PVC spraybar with Krylon fusion. Once it's fully cured Krylon fusion spray paint is safe to be under water in an aquarium.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:10 am   Re: Filtering issues

If you want to spend some money on a very versatile spray bar, the "Eheim install set 2 spray bar 594" will attach perfectly to Fluval 306. It has a quick disconnect and there are many modification pieces for the spray pattern. I have mine with the additional flow indicator mounted on top.
Just make sure to get the 594 which is .65 inches and connects to the grey end of the Fluval hose. The 494 is .5 inch and will not work.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00176HKRW
Or
http://www.bigalspets.com has the set and many of the attachments for decent prices.

The PVC spray bar VC mentioned works great, use one on another tank.
But my RES tank had protein/oil slick issues and the Eheim spray bar has an aeration attachment that solves this for me and eliminates a few dead spots in the tank flow.

Good luck!
1 RES: Neko (Nikodemos the disasteRES)
RXSTR54

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion