Equipment Review and Discussion :: Fluval 403 - First canister filter.

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:07 am   Fluval 403 - First canister filter.

Hey everyone,

I recently picked up a RES from a friend. He said he wasn't able to give it the care and attention it probably needed, so wanted someone else to have it.

The turtle is about 5" long right now, and seems in good health. He's living in a 30 gallon tank right now, but I got a 70 gallon tank that I need to clean out and set up then transfer him over. When I picked up the 70 gallon tank, the lady selling it had a hanging-style filter, but she also had a Fluval 303 she substituted instead. That leaked, but I found someone selling a 403 on kijiji that I picked up for $20. Gave it a thorough cleaning and it's good to go.

I just want to make sure that I've got everything set up properly. It was a big pain to get set up.

Firstly, this filter pumps water out through the output, and as best I tell, siphons it in through the intake, sucking the dirty water up through the three layers of filter media then out into the tank.

I have it set up as follows: Bottom: Black Coarse filter pad (Made for FX-6, because all newer sponges are rectangular), MIddle: Two bags of activated Charcoal, top: Ceramic rings with a water polishing pad to flow through last.

When I mentioned getting it set up was a pain, what I mean is priming the intake. I submerged it to fill it with aquarium water, then brought it down. But the "quick connect" end aren't quick at all, and ended up getting about a gallor or two of water everywhere throughout the process. I had to kink the hose, install it to the filter then let it go as I start it so the air bubble would be sucked down instead of floating up. I was thinking of installing a valve near the bottom so I can prime it, then close the valve mainitaining suction?

The filter itself had quite old tubing, which I replaced some of with braided hosing.

Mainly, all I'm asking is does the setup seem fine? Am I overlooking something?

Here's a picture of the whole tank setup: (sorry about the size, I'll resize them soon

This is the filter, I have it ina pot to check for leaks, etc.

This is the outflow, I've bastardized a fitting to hang on the edge using 90 degree elbows and pipe clamps (Need to find suction cups to be safe)

And lastly Toby is basking in the fake sun
amace

Post Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:56 pm   Re: Fluval 403 - First canister filter.

I'm not sure I can help you with the filter, but I wanted to tell you that it would probably be a good idea to take out the glass thermometer and use it only when you feel the need to check the temps, your turt seems big enough to bite and break it. My :msgreen: kept trying to bite it and I knew she could have smashed it to pieces if she really wanted. I now use a LCD thermometer and it seems accurate, I'm not sure if you have a heater in order to keep the temps steady.
Your RES seems healthy and basking happily, always glad to see that. :)
Welcome to the forum!
Bobo - 7 1/2 year old female RES
80 gallon tank, JBL CristalProfi e1501 Greenline canister filter, Eheim Jager 200W heater, Reptile UVB 100 25W bulb (former ReptiGlo 5.0 26W)
xcristina

Post Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:03 pm   Re: Fluval 403 - First canister filter.

There's a filter media thread in the equipment section with recommendations for the fluval 400 series and others

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30145

I have a 406. From what I've read online that or the 405 were the first ones that didn't have priming issues. Mine has a priming pump. You seal it up empty and use the priming pump to fill it. All it takes is getting the siphon going. The pump itself just has enough oomph to get the water back in. If your intake tube isn't filled with water already and ready to siphon, I'm not sire the pump will do it.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:28 pm   Re: Fluval 403 - First canister filter.

xcristina wrote:I'm not sure I can help you with the filter, but I wanted to tell you that it would probably be a good idea to take out the glass thermometer and use it only when you feel the need to check the temps, your turt seems big enough to bite and break it. My :msgreen: kept trying to bite it and I knew she could have smashed it to pieces if she really wanted. I now use a LCD thermometer and it seems accurate, I'm not sure if you have a heater in order to keep the temps steady.
Your RES seems healthy and basking happily, always glad to see that. :)
Welcome to the forum!

I'll keep that in mind about the thermometer. as mentioned, I've got a new tank just need a chance to get everything switched over, which has one of the thermometer stickers on it already. I'll probably just use that. I've had the turtle bite my fingers, but he doesn't bite that hard. However, it's a really old thermometer, so probably shouldn't risk it.

Yes, I do have a heater, it's just not very clear. I live in northwestern Ontario, and the temp today is -28, (-44 with wind chill) so even inside, it gets fairly chilly at times. I have a second one for the bigger tank as the one I've got in there is only rated for 40 gallons.
amace

Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:50 pm   Re: Fluval 403 - First canister filter.

I'd try priming it as ljapa mentioned. Gravity and vacuum will fill it for you.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion