Equipment Review and Discussion :: Fluval FX5 help please!

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:22 pm   Fluval FX5 help please!

Hi everyone,

I just bought a Fluval Fx5 on Ebay but it's just the main unit. I know I need some extra parts to it, but I'm hoping after I buy those parts I will still have come out with a decent deal on the thing. Please tell me if you think I overpaid.

{Link expired}

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys know where I can find a good deal on the parts that are missing! (Location: Garden Grove, CA)

From the user manual, it looks like I need:

Hosing
Rim connectors & clips
Small suction cups
Intake assembly
Output assembly
Metal clamps
Aquastop valves

Is there anything else I'm missing (aside from media)?

This purchase is already stressing me out; I kind of think I should have just bought a new FX6 from Amazon.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by TurtleDee&TurtleDum on Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TurtleDee&TurtleDum

Post Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:48 am   Re: Fluval FX5 help please!

Maybe not as cheap as eBay but here's a good resource.

http://www.fluvalparts.com/fluval-fx5-parts/
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:34 pm   Re: Fluval FX5 help please!

I guess how easy you find the other parts will determine if it was a deal or not. I'd say probably not because of the extra work involved. I'm also curious as to what happened to the filter (looks quite dusty).
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:21 am   Re: Fluval FX5 help please!

I just bought the hose from big als I think for 19.99 3reef10 gets you another 10 percent off.

I would agree with steve, not a good deal. By the time that you spend all the time, money, and shipping, you could have just got a brand new fx6 from big als for 305$ shipped with that code.
Starscream

Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:45 pm   Re: Fluval FX5 help please!

Also, if you want, I can give you the small suction cups, I have 2 fx 6's and I don't use them. You will definately want the valves because they are nice for maintenance. input and output assembly you can make with pvc for a few dollars, and if you buy the clamps at lowes for a few cents, that will save you some $. All of that would get you up and running for another 50$. Then you could pic up the official fluval stuff later if you wanted.
Starscream

Post Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:01 pm   Re: Fluval FX5 help please!

Thank you for your input! I ended up not getting it, thank goodness. I'm thinking of going with Rena XP-L (350GPH) since it's only $105 on Amazon. I have a 55G tank with one RES that is probably 3-4" long. I'm starting to read up on the reviews on the boards, but it seems like some of them are really old (2005). I know that the FX6 would be more quiet than the Rena, but is it significantly more quiet? Spending $300 on a filter makes me nervous.
TurtleDee&TurtleDum

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:22 am   Re: Fluval FX5 help please!

I own both of these filters and they are both good filters. The fx is expensive but when or if you upgrade to a bigger tank you won't need to upgrade filters. You might also consider a circulation pump such as a maxi jet if your going with the filstar xp-L.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:50 am   Re: Fluval FX5 help please!

I too own both of those filters. My Rena is the older badged XP4. They're both good but the FX runs circles around the rena in terms of performance. Kansasslider is right on with not needing to upgrade if you do the FX5.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:24 am   Re: Fluval FX5 help please!

I paid 339$ for my first fx6, and stole the second at 306$ I do not regret either purchase. To me, they are worth every cent. Good luck.
Starscream

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion