Equipment Review and Discussion :: Home Made Filter?

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:31 am   Home Made Filter?

Hi I'm a little new to this RES and I have a RES that is 3 yrs old and has a shell length of about 5-6 ins and currently in a 30 gal. long tank I'm in the process of moving and planning on setting up a 2-300 gal plastic stock tank. I would like to build my filter set up myself I have a brand new never used small pool pump I want to use, but I am not sure what to use for the filter I thought about the charcoal whole house filter but I would prob have to change it every weekend as for the amount of gallons going through it. I read on here bout making a filter set up but I'm not finding many topics on it for a truly homemade set up. I'm real good at making things so I have all the confidence in the world I just need to find some pics and some pointers on where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
BigCrzyRdNeck

Post Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:49 am   Re: Home Made Filter?

You're going to need 3 layers of filtration... Chemical (carbon), mechanical (sponge or floss) and bio (very porous inert material).

There are DIY filters on this forum with examples if you search a bit more. The outdoor / pond setup people tend to DIY filters so that forum has more examples. I'd also encourage you to read if you haven't already the "filter media" sticky in the equipment subforum. It has info on filter media, what order, ratios, and what each one does.

Happy new year and welcome to the forum.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:23 am   Re: Home Made Filter?

Thanks I will look for them. After posting this I did see some homemade trash can filters on youtube, but I was wondering how bout just ordering one like the tetra filter assembly for koi and out side ponds looks like its all there just add pump.
BigCrzyRdNeck

Post Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:20 am   Re: Home Made Filter?

I would avoid trash cans as they seem to leach plasticizers and other chemicals. Some people use a smaller stock tank for filtration, and I would also consider quality buckets as an option. I'm not sure about the tetra filter assembly, can you post a link to it?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:25 am   Re: Home Made Filter?

Ok, didn't think about the plastic of the trash can. A link no problem http://www.aqua-fish.net/imgs/articles0 ... lter-2.jpg . I have seen some of the homemade ones on here and there are easier than I realized.
BigCrzyRdNeck

Post Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:51 am   Re: Home Made Filter?

Maybe some food-grade buckets?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion