Equipment Review and Discussion :: SeaView background mounting solution

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:06 pm   SeaView background mounting solution

Has anyone used this before? It's gotten very mixed reviews on petco.com.

Also, do you attach the background to the inside or outside of the tank?
:mrgreen: Bill - RES
Dixie, Georgia, and Scrappy - cats
ataraxiamb

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:44 pm   Re: SeaView background mounting solution

Looks like it has an unscientific score of 33% on RES.com: search.php?keywords=SeaView

It goes on the outside, but will appear enhanced when stuck to the surface.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:58 pm   Re: SeaView background mounting solution

It's not fantastic. I used it and got rid of it. The seaview special sauce (baby oil) goes on the outside back of the glass. It helps the background adhere to the glass and appear enhanced or brighter from the front side. What it really does is make a mess, create bubbles in front of the background that look awful, and eventually peel away.

If you'd like a less fancy background but one that works VERY VERY well.... try one of these: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=19785
The water colors brand backgrounds are second to none. The only thing that sticks better is paint.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:22 am   Re: SeaView background mounting solution

Hmmm... I think I'll start by taping the background to the tank and then maybe trying the SeaView. I didn't pay much for either. Is it easy to get the SeaView and background off if it turns out badly?

Those backgrounds look very sturdy, but not too exciting. More than hiding wires, I'm trying to make the aquarium look more interesting without putting a bunch of stuff inside. He tried to eat a fake plastic plant I put in there, and I'd love to have rocks or colored sand, but that seems like a hassle to clean.
:mrgreen: Bill - RES
Dixie, Georgia, and Scrappy - cats
ataraxiamb

Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:54 pm   Re: SeaView background mounting solution

Yeah the seaview doesn't adhere to the tank... it's taped on around the edges with the baby oil between the background and the glass. If it doesn't come off by itself over time it should be very easy to remove.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:08 am   Re: SeaView background mounting solution

I've used it before. I had to supplement the adhesion with packaging tape on the edges. Maybe it would work better for small tanks, but it didn't work especially well for my 6' tank.
-Chris
papoopeepoo

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion