Equipment Review and Discussion :: purigen

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:08 pm   purigen

im fixing to clean my filters and tanks. i have 2 new bags of purigen for the tank. my question is the used purigen just needs to soak in bleach for a day the be washed of real good and its ready to go back in the filter the next time?
4 res
3 ybs
1 black knob sawback map
1 reg map
1 reg musk
2 razor back musk
1 king snake,1 ball python,1 red tailed boa,1 dumerils boa,1 leopard tortoise,1 leopard gecko,4 crested geckos,1 rose haired tarantula,3 bearded dragons,2 cats,4 dogs
mantis

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:24 pm   Re: purigen

that's what I do and it's worked so far... Just hold your breath because it is NASTY smelling big time = : /
Into_the_Mystic

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:41 pm   Re: purigen

ok cool how long do i leave it in the bleach before rinsing with water/
4 res
3 ybs
1 black knob sawback map
1 reg map
1 reg musk
2 razor back musk
1 king snake,1 ball python,1 red tailed boa,1 dumerils boa,1 leopard tortoise,1 leopard gecko,4 crested geckos,1 rose haired tarantula,3 bearded dragons,2 cats,4 dogs
mantis

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:33 am   Re: purigen

From: http://www.seachem.com/Products/product ... rigen.html

Regeneration: Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metalic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoons of ChlorGuard™, Prime®, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well. Original color and full activity should now be restored and Purigen® is ready for reuse. Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul Purigen® and render regeneration difficult. Do not reuse if odor of chlorine is detectable. In case of doubt, soak beads in small quantity of water and test for residual chlorine with a chlorine test kit.

There is some debate as to what to do after the bleach... some have just been letting it soak in water.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:56 am   Re: purigen

I've been using purigen for years.

Overnight soak in bleach water solution then overnight soak in water + prime. If you're not going to use the purigen right away... remove it from the water + prime and store it in plain water. I usually keep mine in a ziplock bag with water until I'm ready for it.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:50 pm   Re: purigen

ok do i have to use the prime? if so cool i just want to make sure i do this right. i love useing the purigen. its great. also when you store it in the sip bag you just put enough water to cover the purigen right?
4 res
3 ybs
1 black knob sawback map
1 reg map
1 reg musk
2 razor back musk
mantis

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:04 pm   Re: purigen

I suppose you don't have to use prime... it's a dechlorinator. The small bottle of prime is like $3 and will last a very long time if you're just using it for the purigen process. Yes the idea is not to let the resin beads dry out else they could begin to break apart. I put enough water in the ziplock bag to submerge the purigen. The zip lock does a really good job of not letting the water evaporate.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:12 pm   Re: purigen

The purigen will sometimes float in the bleach solution, I use a rock to submerge it in the container.
The trickiest part is to rinse it really really well after the bleach soak. The end result should not have a bleach smell or oily feel.
devilduck

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:18 pm   Re: purigen

cool thanks guy
4 res
3 ybs
1 black knob sawback map
1 reg map
1 reg musk
2 razor back musk
mantis

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion