Equipment Review and Discussion :: Thermometer Reading Variations

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:19 pm   Thermometer Reading Variations

I've been using simple, in-tank thermometers to read the temperature on everything that I've got. I've managed to keep everything balanced in terms of temperature pretty well, and I was proud of myself for getting it right.

Then I thought, "Oh, I'll upgrade to the fancy-schmancy infrared temperature gun thing." I got it yesterday.
I tested all the water today and, for some reason, it's showing QUITE a discrepancy. Like, my little turtle's tank has been steady between 79.1 and 80.3 this whole last couple of weeks. My temp gun shows it (through the glass AND directly onto the water) at 74. The outside tanks have been between 73 (early morning) (yes I am going to put the heater in once I get the filter worked out) and 76 (afternoon) pretty regularly, but the temp gun said they were SIXTY-FIVE.

:shock:

Cue the worried mother panic mode over here.
I don't have any other thermometers to test with besides my food thermometer, and somebody in the house here would be really mad if I used that one.

NOW WHAT? The turtles don't seem stressed or too cold and everyone's still eating fine and I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.
*flings thermometers*

*quietly goes and picks them back up because she needs them*
Outside Pond Boys: :mrgreen:Timmy & Chewy & Ike
Outside Pond Girls: :msgreen:Betty & Frick & Frack & Tina & Nyrtle-Sweetpea
Inside Tank: :mrgreen:Sheldon :msgreen: Mork :msgreen: Mindy
Nursery: :?: Baby Timmy & Ranger
apondfortimmy

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:09 pm   Re: Thermometer Reading Variations

Did you read the manufacturers instructions for properly measuring the temp of liquids? IR thermometers detect the emission of infrared light, so don't actually measure the temperature of the water, they measure the temperature of the surface you are pointing it at, so if you measure through the glass, you are measuring the temp of the glass at the outside surface. If you point it at the surface of the water you are measuring the temp of the water vapor that has evaporated from the surface which will be cooler than the actual temp of the water.
5 inch RES male named Jordtim
Hardware: 75 gallon tank (21"H X 48"W X 18"D), FX5 filter with veipacray media setup, pool filter sand substrat, TurtleSafe halogen heat/UVA lamp and ReptiGlo 5.0 UVB lamp in ZooMed Dual Dome Fixture.
PridgNYC

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:44 pm   Re: Thermometer Reading Variations

You can also see if the ir gun is calibrated by looking at freezing and boiling.

Throw a bunch of ice in water. Swish it around, let it sit for a while and melt a bit, then swish again. The water should be right at 32 degrees.

Then boil water. Point at the pot of water. It should read 212.

If the thermometer is off, it may not be off by the same amount at each specific temp, but how it reads those should be informative.

EDIT: Just registered that you mentioned food thermometer. If you have one of those fancy, digital, metal probe ones like my wife, it should be pretty accurate.

Fill a glass with water. Use the food probe and compare to the IR gun.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:11 am   Re: Thermometer Reading Variations

ljapa wrote:You can also see if the ir gun is calibrated by looking at freezing and boiling.

Throw a bunch of ice in water. Swish it around, let it sit for a while and melt a bit, then swish again. The water should be right at 32 degrees.

Then boil water. Point at the pot of water. It should read 212.

If the thermometer is off, it may not be off by the same amount at each specific temp, but how it reads those should be informative.

EDIT: Just registered that you mentioned food thermometer. If you have one of those fancy, digital, metal probe ones like my wife, it should be pretty accurate.

Fill a glass with water. Use the food probe and compare to the IR gun.

Good way to calibrate it, this way you don't need stick the food probe in turtle water, take a measurement with both and adjust your temp on the infrared by the amount it would take to match the food probe. Add or subtract the same number of degrees when you test the turtle water with the IR.

This is essentially what I did to adjust my heater. I measured the water temp with a lab grade calibrated thermometer and raised the heat so it would stay at the desired temp.
5 inch RES male named Jordtim
Hardware: 75 gallon tank (21"H X 48"W X 18"D), FX5 filter with veipacray media setup, pool filter sand substrat, TurtleSafe halogen heat/UVA lamp and ReptiGlo 5.0 UVB lamp in ZooMed Dual Dome Fixture.
PridgNYC

Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:29 pm   Re: Thermometer Reading Variations

Oh duh. I don't have to test the TURTLE tank water with my food thermometer. /facepalm

I'll go do this now. It's doing a little better with temperature variation now, but ... yeah, I should go see what the real deal is.

Thanks guys; I feel silly for not having thought of that solution but I was in panic mode. :D
Outside Pond Boys: :mrgreen:Timmy & Chewy & Ike
Outside Pond Girls: :msgreen:Betty & Frick & Frack & Tina & Nyrtle-Sweetpea
Inside Tank: :mrgreen:Sheldon :msgreen: Mork :msgreen: Mindy
Nursery: :?: Baby Timmy & Ranger
apondfortimmy

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:58 am   Re: Thermometer Reading Variations

What happened? What brand of temp gun did you use?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion