Equipment Review and Discussion :: Cellophane-wrapped cork bark?

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:58 am   Cellophane-wrapped cork bark?

After two weeks of putting the cork bark in my aquarium, the water changed to a brownish yellow. I know it is a common occurence. I did not try to boil or soak it though. The weird part is that it was fine the first and a half week. It just started turning yellow the past couple of days.

Anyhow, after completely cleaning the tank today, my dad and I tried wrapping up the cork bark in cellophane to test if it'll be okay. However, we haven't seen the turtles on it. We were thinking that maybe it's too slippery and they cannot grip on it. The cork bark does not even look that steep or slippery so I was also wondering if they needed some time to get on top.

Anyhow, I put them in a temporary place for tonight to prevent drowning from being too tired swimming without a resting area.

Is it a bad idea to wrap the work bark in cellophane (plastic wrap)? Has anyone tried it? Do you think it makes cork bark slippery?
Thank you,
Emily
justify_yourlove

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:07 am   Re: Cellophane-wrapped cork bark?

justify_yourlove wrote:After two weeks of putting the cork bark in my aquarium, the water changed to a brownish yellow. I know it is a common occurence. I did not try to boil or soak it though. The weird part is that it was fine the first and a half week. It just started turning yellow the past couple of days.

Anyhow, after completely cleaning the tank today, my dad and I tried wrapping up the cork bark in cellophane to test if it'll be okay. However, we haven't seen the turtles on it. We were thinking that maybe it's too slippery and they cannot grip on it. The cork bark does not even look that steep or slippery so I was also wondering if they needed some time to get on top.

Anyhow, I put them in a temporary place for tonight to prevent drowning from being too tired swimming without a resting area.

Is it a bad idea to wrap the work bark in cellophane (plastic wrap)? Has anyone tried it? Do you think it makes cork bark slippery?

I have never used cork bark. I us a turtle dock and my boyfriend made a dock. But to me the plastic wrap sounds like as bad idea. I would be worried that one of them would try and eat it. So I would take it off. I'm sure someone will be along shorty that can tell you how to stop it from making the water brown. Maybe thats the way cork bark does...? :D Good Luck with your new babies.
8 RES: Tampa, Bay, Exclamation (Male R.I.P. 2-10-07), Question-mark, Tiny Tim, Pan Handle (Male), Squirt, & Crush.

KI4JAV

www.notyourdaddysguncases.com
TinySlider2

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:18 am   

I soaked the corkbark for 3 days before using it and it still discoloured the water. Doesn't mean the water's dirty tho. I have to agree with Tiny about the plastic...bad idea. I guess you either have to live with the yucky looking water or find something else for a basking dock.

I noticed you said they get tired because they have nothing to rest on. Buy a couple of those plastic plants with the suction cups on them. They're made for terrariums but they do just fine in the water. They really do need a place that they can rest just under the surface of the water if they get tired.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:16 pm   

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely take the plastic off. I figured the cork bark would change the water color no matter what. I read that the cork bark is the best store bought dock, so I will try and live with the color for now. I guess I would be cleaning the water every 3 weeks anyway
Thank you,
Emily
justify_yourlove

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:31 pm   

every 3 weeks? Lucky duck. I'm lucky if I can let it go a week and a half.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:17 pm   

I've been using corkbark for quite a while now, and some pieces seem to release tannins (making the water the color of weak tea) more than others. Though a little unsightly, the tannins won't hurt your turtle. The actually make the water a bit more acidic, which is is good. Over time, the color will lessen. I wouldn't use the plastic--it sounds like it would make it too slippery for the turtles to climb on it, and if it starts to wear, it's possible one one them could ingest some.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:41 am   

I do mine on Sudays *s*
tini

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion