Equipment Review and Discussion :: Rena Filstar XP Series Canister Filters

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:11 pm   

marisa, the microfiltration pads (i'm assuming a polyester pad?) causes the filter to clog? weird...also, you said you liked the xp3 better -- does the 4+ not keep the 40 gallon as clean as the xp3 does the 110 gallon, or was it more of an ease of cleaning issue, or what?
mattfelsen

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:32 pm   

In the XP3, the microfiltration pads are the white, soft squarish pads that go at the very top of the filter media (they probably are polyester). They're supposed to trap the finest particles and "polish" the water. I used to use them, but found after about a month, the flow of the filter would often be dramatically reduced, like something was clogging the filter, and the filter would need to be taken apart. The microfiltration pad would always be slightly moved around and was extremely soft and soggy. I stopped adding one when I read from others who had XP3s that they had the same problem and had stopped using them. Now, a filter that needs cleaning will clog and the flow rate will drop as well, but without the microfiltration pads this doesn't seem to happen nearly as quickly.

The Fluval 4+ and the XP3 are two totally different types of filters, the XP3 being a canister (outside the tank with a lot of biomedia) and the Fluval 4+ being a submersible filter that's placed inside the tank. You can't compare the two for power, efficiency and maintaining water quality. A canister filter is far better than a submersible filter. Fluval does make canister filters, the 404 model currently being the one closest to the XP3 in terms of gph and size tank it's meant for. I have never used one. There is some debate over which is better, it seems that more people prefer the XP3 for design and ease of use (but some do like the Fluval 404).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:31 pm   

marisa wrote:In the XP3, the microfiltration pads are the white, soft squarish pads that go at the very top of the filter media (they probably are polyester). They're supposed to trap the finest particles and "polish" the water. I used to use them, but found after about a month, the flow of the filter would often be dramatically reduced, like something was clogging the filter, and the filter would need to be taken apart. The microfiltration pad would always be slightly moved around and was extremely soft and soggy. I stopped adding one when I read from others who had XP3s that they had the same problem and had stopped using them. Now, a filter that needs cleaning will clog and the flow rate will drop as well, but without the microfiltration pads this doesn't seem to happen nearly as quickly.

The Fluval 4+ and the XP3 are two totally different types of filters, the XP3 being a canister (outside the tank with a lot of biomedia) and the Fluval 4+ being a submersible filter that's placed inside the tank. You can't compare the two for power, efficiency and maintaining water quality. A canister filter is far better than a submersible filter. Fluval does make canister filters, the 404 model currently being the one closest to the XP3 in terms of gph and size tank it's meant for. I have never used one. There is some debate over which is better, it seems that more people prefer the XP3 for design and ease of use (but some do like the Fluval 404).

I haven't had that problem with my XP3. My tank might not be getting as icky as other though. I suppose size of tank and number/size of turtles might play a factor in it getting clogged. How many microfiltration pads were you using at once? I only use one at the top of the top basket. I also do 30% water changes once a week and clean the tank and filter once a month. After a month the microfiltration pad is quite icky like you described.
Spookster

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:12 pm   

Filstar = greatest freaking filter on the market

I've dealt with alot of filter owning fish in the past...mostly power but this is the best and easiest canister to deal with.
Buslady of SoCal
1.1.0 Rhinoclemmys Pulchrrima Manni: Donatello, Jessie, Steve, Leo, Bender + 2 more eggs to hatch
2.2.0 Trachemys Scripta Elegans: Mike,Raph; For adopton: Tokka, Casey
1.0.0 Ninjemys Chelonia Raffaello: Raphael ;-)
Buslady

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:17 pm   

A very late response to you, Spookster, but I was using only 1 microfiltration pad as well. I've stopped using them, and haven't noticed the water looking any the worse for it. :)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:28 pm   

I bought an XP3 off of Ebay and just got it in the mail today. So far I am very happy with it. It is quiet & it has a lot of room for media. I also must say that it I have had a fluval 304 and a Cascade 700 and this is by far the easiest filter to set up. All I had to do was fill it up with water, attatch the hoses and turn it on. No pumping or anything. I can't tell you how happy I am about that. It would take me forever to get the Fluval & the Cascade started again after cleaning. The only flaw I had was that the imput and output aren't very long. I actually used the parts from the Cascade instead because the were long enough to reach the water.
MMC32879

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:52 pm   

My xp3 came with plenty of extra tubing parts for input and out put...so that could be an issue with buying it used.

Also, the instructions on mine say not to fill up the canister part before attaching hoses. It says to attach the hoses, put the level down, and it fills on it's own. It may take a small bit a priming, but there is a filler hole at the top of the intake tubing.
Last edited by missibsu on Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:00 pm   

Really? Thanks for letting me know that. Mine didn't come with any instructions, only the ones on the filter itself. I'm suprised because it just started rignt up when I plugged it in. Also I don't know how to prime it if I needed to. There's no button or lever to pump like my old filters had. How do I prime it?
MMC32879

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:06 pm   

I stand corrected in my earlier post, the priming spot in on the intake tube. I'll edit that post as well.

On the top of my intake tube is a black cap, you screw it off and slowly pour water in until it is full. That is all there is to priming...and it doesn't take much water.

If you would like a complete set of instructions I would be more than happy to send them to you. Let me know.
Missi

missibsu

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:12 pm   

Yes, that would be great Thank you. Like I said the intake tube wasn't long enough to get down to the water level in my tank so for now I'm using the intake tube from my Cascade filter. Do you know were I can get an extension for the Rena one?
MMC32879

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:22 pm   

Not really sure, other than checking with stores who actually sell the product. Not sure if you can order directly from the manufacturer either. Someone else might have some suggestions.
Missi

missibsu

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:07 pm   

grey goose

Post Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:47 pm   

You can also look here for XP parts.

http://rena-aquatics-outlet.planetrena. ... Parts.html
MMC32879

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:56 pm   

I have an FX5, It is for 400 gallon aquairums, I got it for my 170 gallon aquairum, just because turts are so messy!! It holds about 9 litres of madia and 25 litres of water, it's self priming and very very quite... But for the first day it's loud... If you need any help just tell me!
Hi, My names Carter.

I have 3 Res about 4 inches long named, Chester, Carlos and Lily!
rocketright

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:22 pm   

I was looking for info for the Rena XP series, and using the search function I found this sticky thread. The link in the original post is broken. :!:
Branden

Care taker of Sputnik RES
Trapper & [strike]Kato the Bear [/strike]- Felines
"Dance like it hurts, work when people are watching, and love like you need the money."
"Ignorance is bliss, stupidity is blisser"
VelvetAlley

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion