Equipment Review and Discussion :: Rena Filstar XP Series Canister Filters

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:30 pm   

marisa wrote:The impeller is stuck or broke? It sounds like something isn't seated right or not closed right.

Its most likely this, I looked at it a few minutes ago, it wasn't spinning. I took it out and placed it back in, it sucked itself in place when I got close and it can't go any deeper, is that how it should be?
Weirdkid

Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:12 pm   

There's a magnetic pull, and the impeller will only go so far. I seem to remember a long time ago I actually put it in the wrong way. Are you sure you have it in correctly?

Have you ever cleaned the space where the impeller goes? I used to use q-tips to gently wipe the area out. It would sometimes be pretty gross.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:45 am   

How is the Rena as far as the seal leaking after cleanings? My Fluval 404 can really be a nightmare sometimes.
Kingpin Gwin

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:59 pm   

I don't remember ever having a problem with leaking after cleanings. In the beginning once or twice the motor would run but water didn't move; it always turned out to be something like not having the baskets seated properly.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:03 pm   

Popular filter LOL
Chris (Turtle Newb in training)
2 tiny RES (Cuff and Link)
1 3 Toed Boxie (Ms. Pineapple)
1 Dwarf Bunny (Mischa)
chrisinva

Post Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:19 pm   

i noticed that everyone prefers canistered filters & i understand why. but does anyone have opinions on HOBs? like the Marineland Penguin 350? would you say Marineland HOB are good filters? i have a 20 gallon long, i would like to know ppl's opinions on HOBs.
1 RES: Crush, 7" long 5 years old
1 hedgehog: Sonic, 7 months old
francinemarie

Post Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:08 am   

How often does the media need changed in these?
Chris (Turtle Newb in training)
2 tiny RES (Cuff and Link)
1 3 Toed Boxie (Ms. Pineapple)
1 Dwarf Bunny (Mischa)
chrisinva

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:27 pm   

Just got an XP4 for 175 brand new from a mom and pop place where I love. I may only have a 30 gal but I love it!

-Comes with an adjustable flow rate so I can set it just right
-Comes with all the media you need
-Very long hoses!
-Very easy quick connect no drip cleaning!
-May not be self priming but the meathod of priming is easy as cake!
-This big thing is QUIETER than the zoomed 501! So if you have ever had the 501 that gives you a good idea!
-Many differnt attachments you can get! in the future even though i already have a water heater you can get the water heater attacment that attaches to the intake or output tubes!

Its big yes, It can hold a lot of media yes, but its quite, effeciant, and once you get it you will never need another filter again!

Thats my 2 cents
1 RES - Spikey
drtweak

Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:17 pm   

Thanks! :)
TurtleLover_S&B,

Squirt & Bubbles!The cutest turtles you've ever seen!!
TurtleLover_S&B

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:19 am   

I dunno about anyone else, but the link is broken for me. I know this would be a HUGE bump, but its a sticky :D
Cap-hits, not Cafits.
Caphits

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:01 pm   

I've updated the original post with links from Planet Rena.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:57 pm   Question regarding water level inside canister

What should be the water level inside the Canister on the XP3? Mine seems to be about 1/8th inch below the top of the top basket. The very top of the filter is exactly 20 inches below the water surface. That's the furthest below the surface I can get it at this point. It's on the bottom of the cabinet under the stand.

Reason I am asking is that after two days, the filter is cleaning the water absolutely great, but the tank is full of micro-bubbles, they just swril around in the water and give it a hazy appearance, and collect onto the underside of the rocks, spraybar, etc. I know this is probably oxygenating the water just great, but it's annoying, nonetheless.

My spraybar is halfway submerged with the holes discharging under the water so there isn't any spray noise.
'Grandfather' to Squirt, the 5½" RES
and Snoopy the HUGE dog that was SUPPOSED to be a beagle!
bover907

Post Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:54 pm   

Hi all,

I need a new filter and I was thinking of getting the Rena Filstar XP 2 (for up to 75 gal.) I currently have only a 30 gal but I hope to purchase a larger one in the future. Will the Rena Filstar XP 2 still work in a 30 gal??????
1 male RES, Tank
2 female rats, Rosie and Vicki
1 male? tiger salamander, Hermie
1 female ball python, Cleo(patra)

www.jollygreenjane.com
www.flickr.com/photos/queenjane
www.youtube.com/profile?user=queenjane1234
queenjane

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:03 pm   

Just got a Rena XP2 which I'm using in a 30 gallon tank... This thing works like a boss!
1 male RES, Tank
2 female rats, Rosie and Vicki
1 male? tiger salamander, Hermie
1 female ball python, Cleo(patra)

www.jollygreenjane.com
www.flickr.com/photos/queenjane
www.youtube.com/profile?user=queenjane1234
queenjane

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:24 am   

Hey everyone! I just set up my Rena XP4... it's amazing!! I can't believe how quiet it is, the filter is huuuge, yet I can't hear it over the air pump I have for the guppies (that thing makes noise!). When I first set up the filter I thought I did something wrong and it wasn't working because I couldn't hear anything... haha... turns out it is working. Anyway... just sharing b/c I'm very excited. My water is crystal clear this morning too!
1 RES - Tomi (75 gal)
1 Leopard Gecko - Leia (20 gal)
2 Fancy goldfish, 1 bn pleco (40 gal breeder)
https://www.facebook.com/varboleda6
vear

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion